First visit to GardenStew? Learn more Already a member? -> Sign in     Not a member yet? -> Register

You are in Forums > Flower Gardening >

Is moon flower poisonous?


To hide these ads please register / sign in
Post Reply | Start New Topic | Register / sign in to view printable version of this page      




Melissa1982
California
Posts: 109
Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:03 pm   Post subject: Is moon flower poisonous?


Hi there. I started a moonflower seed and it's growing! But, I wanted to know if they are poisenous or not? I think I read that they are, but I can't remember if it was this plant or a different one. I have a 3 year old and will be having a baby in the next week or 2, and we really don't want to have toxic plants in the yard.




To hide these ads please register / sign in
Back to top
Profile | PM | My Garden



cajunbelle

zone 8b Louisiana
Posts: 3257
Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:03 pm   


Are you talking about a moonflower vine or a moonflower plant, (datura). They are both toxic, the datura being extremely toxic.

Here are a few links to check out:

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~djw/plantox.html
http://kinne.net/poi-list.htm
http://www.dcn.davis.ca.us/vme/DrSue/poisplnt.html

I grow moonflower vine, morning glory, and datura, I do not have small children, but do have pets. I have never had a problem because of these plants. If you do not feel safe growing them because of the children, then wait until they are old enough to understand to grow them.

Back to top
Profile | PM | My Garden | My Blog



sherenity
zone6
Posts: 12
Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:51 am   Post subject: our moon flowers poisonous


Melissa I have 1yr. and almost 2yr. old granddaughters and another one due in Dec. And I also have numerous plants like foxglove, moonflower,ect... I do not plant those in the designated play area. But since my oldest granddaughter was able to walk she comes out and helps me water and she has learned that those are grandma's pretty's and we don't touch.I personally don't have a problem with them picking my flowers they love them to and enjoy watching them grow.
I think it is like everything, the poisons in your house the outlets,the stove you have to teach them when they are little.BUT I WOULD NEVER LEAVE A CHILD UNATTENDED in an area where there is anything poisonous rather it be a plant or chemical(household cleaners).Just one persons opinion. Hope it helps. Very Happy

www.seedsofknowledge.com/poisonflowers.html
I hope I did this correctly?
I found this site that has a lot of info. from plants to trees even letting you know that tomato blossoms are poisonous.

Back to top
Profile | PM | My Garden



Melissa1982
California
Posts: 109
Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:06 pm   


Thanks for the replies Smile I think I'll wait till the kids are a little older to grow it in our yard. Yes, you're right Sherenity, it would be like everyting else to teach kids to stay away from.

Back to top
Profile | PM | My Garden



Palm Tree

Cape Town
Posts: 1450
Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:22 am   


Hi there
The Moonflower is indeed poisonous.
Its scientific name is the Ipomoea alba.
Also watch out for the Ipomoea purpurea as this one is also poisonous.
There is however also edible varities such as the sweet potato.

Back to top
Profile | PM | Website | My Garden | My Blog



Palm Tree

Cape Town
Posts: 1450
Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:34 pm   


OOPS Embarassed
Made mistake posted the wrong name in my previous post.
THe name of the moonflower is indeed a Datura cornigera also known as Brugmansia.

Back to top
Profile | PM | Website | My Garden | My Blog



blackrose

Posts: 269
Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:27 am   


Melissa1982 wrote:
Thanks for the replies Smile I think I'll wait till the kids are a little older to grow it in our yard. Yes, you're right Sherenity, it would be like everyting else to teach kids to stay away from.


I agree, have them when the kids are older. They are really pretty but we can't be sure if the kids wn't find their way to them.

Back to top
Profile | PM | Website | My Garden



MrBrownThumb
Chicago Z5
Posts: 30
Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:01 am   


great plant but you should be careful around kids and young adults. I say young adults because if the "wrong" YA discovers or reads about morning glories being hallucinogenics they're bound to experiment.

Back to top
Profile | PM | My Garden | My Blog



dirt2diamonds
Mississippi
Posts: 382
Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:02 am   


It is best to not have poisonous plants with very small children. My 2 year old niece decided to start eating dirt at any and every opportunity. Why? I don't know but kids do the strangest things outside and I love to have her help in the garden. Seeing the plants through her eyes keeps me young. I have wisteria but it is well out of her way.

Back to top
Profile | PM | Website | My Garden | My Blog



Palm Tree

Cape Town
Posts: 1450
Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:11 am   


You are so right D2D

It is not only children that are at risk. If you have pets, they too are at risk. I once had to take one of my dogs to the vet (This was one of my previous dogs, many moons ago) because I noticed he had problems barking - he would bark with no sound. THen the vet told me to check what plants we keep. It was then that I noticed that the bugger nibbled on the Dieffenbachia (which is also known as the dumb cane) and that affected his vocal cords. It could have been more serious had it been a more poisonous plant.

Back to top
Profile | PM | Website | My Garden | My Blog

To hide these ads
please register / sign in


Join GardenStew for free today!



Ways to share this page (copy and paste codes):
Simple link:
Forums:
HTML:


You are in Forums > Flower Gardening




     Sponsored Links