2 Beautiful Red Heads.

Discussion in 'Bird' started by Tooty2shoes, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

We were so thrilled to see the first Redheaded Woodpecker show up last year at our feeders and returned this year. Now we have a mated pair of them coming to our feeders several times a day. Hard to tell which one is the male or female because their coloring is the same. The pic's a little out of focus. But I am glad they held still for that long. I hope to see young Redheads come with them one day soon. DSCN6846.JPG

Sjoerd, Cayuga Morning, 2ofus and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

beautiful birds.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What striking birds your woodpeckers are Tooty. I can see why you're so thrilled to have a pair at your feeders. Do let us know if any youngsters appear with their parents.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  5. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

We don't get that woodpecker out this way. I have put in another story in the same post that you looked at.

Tooty2shoes likes this.

Advertisement
  6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I'm excited for you, Tootie! They are such pretty birds. When we lived in Wa. we had a dead tree at the edge of our yard that we hadn't removed yet. Woodpeckers drilled a hole in it and laid eggs. After the eggs hatched and the parents were away, Mike started to climb the tree so he could take a peek at them. We were surprised when the baby birds started making a sound like a bee hive! Mike peeked in but couldn't see much and climbed back down so he wouldn't upset the babies or make the parent angry when they came back. It was pretty educational for us all.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  7. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Thank you so much for enjoying the pic.
    Kildale I will have to view your new photo's.
    2ofus--yes that is really interesting the sound the babies make. I think we saw a special on PBS about Woodpeckers and it showed the baby Woodpeckers making that buzzing sound. To bad you couldn't see into the nest. SO glad that you did not cut the dead tree down. We have quite a few dead trees on our property that we leave up just for the woodpeckers. Those trees will have to fall down on their own. But our nearest neighbor has been cutting down some really nice big dead trees in his woods. Makes me so sad as they would not damage anything if left to naturally decay on their own.