2 for ID - Early February Blooms

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by cherylad, Feb 3, 2014.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Calin.... almost looks like the same photo :D
    Wonder why this one doesn't have thorns? Or do you think they will develop later on?

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Back in 2010 the grower Proven Winners announced that they had a thornless/fruitless Quince on the market but that was only 3 years ago, don't know how old that Quince is.

3. cherylad

I don't know how long it's been there.... but I'm fairly certain it has been more than 3 years. Oh well... thorns or not, I'm going to see if I can dig out a piece :-D

4. Mary Spotswood

Mary Spotswood New Seed

The second picture looks like the camellia
    "Professor Sergeant".

Advertisement
  5. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Cheryl, All I know is that I am feeling a bit green with jealousy. You have blooming plants! :D

It is very dormant and brown up here. Snow is almost all melted, but we are looking at more this Thursday.

I did recognize the Quince. When we see these older, overgrown ones, we usually give them a good pruning once the blooms fade. It helps to get into the crown and pull out all the dead canes too.

6. cherylad

Kay... these aren't at my house. The Quince belongs to one of my aunts. I did manage to dig up a piece with roots. It seems to be hanging in there.
    The Camellia belongs to someone down the road. I did find a couple of Camellia's on sale the other day. I really don't have a shady enough spot to plant it, but will put it in a good sized container and place under a tree where it will get morning light.

7. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Cheryl- I'm still jealous. It sounds like you have warm enough weather to do some gardening tasks. It is way too early for us up here. Actually, after a lot of really cold days, we're having a heat wave. The snow is melting and it's sloppy out there! It reached 65°F today, but the weather forecast is bringing more winter at the end of the week. Actually, I prefer having some snow on the ground if it's cold. We've had below normal snow this year so any moisture is welcome.
    I hope your Quince shoots will thrive. I think the color of their flowers is so vibrant and pretty. (can't wait to see them here) ;)

8. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Cheryl,..two nice plants to add to your garden,..the Camellia should be easy enough to grow from a cutting,..i took two cuttings early last summer and both Camellia cuttings are doing fine,..best of luck to you.

9. cherylad

Kay... sounds like we're having the same weather pattern... except I suppose it's been a lot warmer here lately. We've been close to 80F the last couple of days, but it will be in the 40s this weekend and possibly even more freezing temps shortly after that. So to keep myself busy and sane, I've been slowly cutting off and cleaning up the dead stuff. :stew2:
    Philip... I didn't get cuttings for the Camellia, but found 2 on the mark-down rack. I have absolutely no skill nor luck in getting stem cuttings to start. Remember my fiasco with the yellow rose? :'(