A Blast from the Past

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Pianolady, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

I'm currently in the process of going through all my old garden photos and transferring them to a new server. It's been fun to see all the crazy (some too crazy) gardening ideas I've tried over the years. This one pops out as one of my favorites, although not financially logical to do year after year. Now I grow vegetables in this area, but it was pretty awesome back when you could buy a flat of annuals for $6. I still can't believe I took the time to plant all these, not sure how many flats it took, but I know it was a lot. Maybe I can find a place to do a smaller version of this, this year.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Absolutely spectacular Pianolady. I hope you can find a place for a smaller version as the colours are simply glorious. Well worth the money and the effort it must have taken to plant them all up.

4. GinnyC

GinnyC Seedling

Beautiful! Yes, annuals have gotten too expensive to buy a lot of flats unfortunately. Last summer, in my new home I just did a lot of dollar store seeds and had very good results. Cost was less than buying one flat of annuals.

5. Ms kitty 01

Ms kitty 01 In Flower

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2015
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Your annual gardens look very nice Pianolady! The cost of annuals is up to about $12+ a flat here, but they are something I just can't give up using. Strategically placed annuals provide color all season, filling in areas where perennials have finished blooming. I usually plant a few flats of my own for use in the gardens (that is all the space I have) and buy a few, as well as the annuals for my planters. Gardening certainly isn't a cheap hobby!