A few more roses

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by marlingardener, May 1, 2016.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I counted and we have 23 roses spread around the gardens. Here is one of my favorites, Bibi Mazoon. She's an Austin rose which fell out of favor and production, a shame because she is mildly fragrant, too.
    Bibi Mazoon close-up.jpg
    Then there is an antique rose, Maggie, which isn't as showy as some, but blooms a lot and is very fragrant. She got her name from a rose grower who passed a house and saw this rose growing in the yard. Unable to trace the rose's lineage, he named it after the lady who grew it, Maggie. Here Maggie is in a small pewter creamer, perfuming the kitchen.
    Maggie on the windowsill.jpg

Frank, Sjoerd, Philip Nulty and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I really like roses that are scented. I don't understand why so many growers go for show over scent as there's nothing nicer than to sit in the garden and drink in the fragrance of roses. Both of yours are really lovely but I think my favourite would be Maggie, not just for looks but, because she has a heavier scent.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Two lovely roses and nice to have scented ones even if the Bibi Mazoon is only slightly scented,..far better than just showy with no scent,..i agree with Eileen:like: nothing nicer than drinking in the fragrance.

Very nice color on Maggie,..she looks like Rose ( Rosa 'Reine des Violettes'.) which has scented leaves.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That Bibi Mazoon is remarkable, Jane.
    I am surprised that it fell out of favour. It's colour and snug packing, draws attention to it...the mild fragrance is an added bonus.