A few of the birds around the house...

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Sherry8, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Dark eyed Junco... January 16, 2016 148 (2).jpg
    House finch
    January 16, 2016 128 (2).jpg
    Mourning dove
    January 16, 2016 178 (2).jpg

I don't feed anything but safflower close to the house since my little dog had gotten sick from eating shells, etc. and the number of birds has really gone down...I would love to see my Blue jays back but I don't want to take the chance of another dog getting sick. We do feed peanuts in the bird feeding pergola but the dogs cannot go in there....so at least the Blue Jays are still happy...

Droopy, Frank, eileen and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Lovely foto's. Those birds look so nice. Say Sherry--what sort of feed are you using in the feeder? Did you call it "safflower"? What is that?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  4. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Sherry- I just love your pics! I see all these birdies out my window, but do not have the talent to snap good pics. We are putting out mostly safflower right now because we have a rambunctious group of marauding squirrels that have figured out how to scale the brick on the house to the window ledge and then jump onto the feeder that had the black oil. We too like having the BlueJays around, as we have a couple of Hawks that have taken up hunting here, and the Jays really sound the alarm when they come around.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Great photographs Sherry. Our birds are getting battered by the dreadful weather. Gale force winds and torrential rain aren't doing them any favours.

Advertisement
  6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

You take such great photo's, Sherry. I don't think I've seen safflower seeds for sale around here but I will look for them and give them a try.

7. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

We regularly use safflower. It attracts many of our backyard birds; Cardinals, Finches, Nuthatches, Chickadees, Doves to name a few.

8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Lovely birds! :D Too bad about the dog, but I'm ever so glad you can feed some of the birds.

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I have a group of about 6 Mourning Doves that hang out under the deck. I like them as they clean up all the seed on the ground that has fallen from the feeder.
    It's usually the Blue Jays that knock all the seed out ... they sure are MESSY!

10. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Ah yes Jerry. All those birds are fun to see and feed. I feed the shelled sunflower seeds which keeps the waste down. Also safflower seed, and cracked corn which quite a few of the birds are enjoying. We have Pine Siskin's, Chickadees, Goldfinches, Blue Jays, Cardinals, 2 kinds of Nut Hatches, Morning doves, 3 types of Woodpeckers, and around 28 or more turkeys. But no House Finch's.
    Then we have the Red, Grey, and Fox squirrels that visit our feeders. We also have the occasional Hawk that tries to catch one of our birds for it's meal. You can always tell when the hawk is around. NO birds at the feeders. It is fun watch all the activity.