A few things I started this year

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by Bosque, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Bosque

Bosque Seedling

I'm so bummed. I contacted that person I had traded what I thought were heuchara seeds and it turns out they think they made a mistake and I did not get heuchara seeds after all. I know these things can happen and it was an honest mistake. I just feel like such a dunce for so proudly posting what I thought was something I had badly wanted & never grown before.

Islandlife likes this.
  2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Don't feel like a dunce! you did a great job growing what you did get. they look fabulous. seed id is not an easy book of knowledge to acquire. I know that huechera seeds and petunias are tiny seeds... the only difference I could think of is color. petunias are a very light brown/tan and huecheras are dark. I have never grown them from seed.. i don't think anyway, but they do have a very round leaf as opposed to the elongated one in your pots. keep growing the petunias and enjoy them.

3. kate

kate In Flower

Good luck with the seedlings, hope they grow for you Bosque.
    I am interested in seeing how the Calla Lily grows.from seed. I also love the Asiatic Lily, had those in red.
    K

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Bosque, which one don't you know? is it in the pictures? the top one looks like begonias... nice ones at that. those are hard to get started and the seeds are like dust. #4 in the orange plastic pot looks like a mint... smell the leaves, it should tell you. # 5 and #11 look like begonias and #8 &9 look like sensitive plant. if you touch the leaves they fold together... they are sensitive. hope that helps... or post a picture of the one you lost the tag to. maybe someone can help ID that for you. they all look great by the way. good job.

Advertisement
  5. Bosque

Bosque Seedling

Ok, so what i had thought was heurchara isn't I guess. So is there any chance this one is a heuchara? Please, please, please!!!!!:oops: 20170318_143456.jpg

purpleinopp likes this.
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

yes... I do believe it could be.

purpleinopp likes this.
  7. Bosque

Bosque Seedling

:kiss:I have a tray full of them, hopefuly more will pop up in the coming days :sete_056:

purpleinopp and carolyn like this.
  8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

yay! glad you did get some.

9. kate

kate In Flower

Bosque, I would'nt worry about it. I know people at garden nurseries who get it wrong.
    I once bought what I believed (after asking the nurseyman) that I had bought a tropical Cordyline australis when in fact they sold me our native Cordyline wheh is totally different. I returned it as soon as I learnt what it really was.
    Tropical Cordylines have several names:

'New Zealand Cabbage Tree, Ti Kouka, Ti Cabbage Tree, Palm Lily, Grass Palm, Torbay Palm, Cornish Palm'.
    K

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Bosque... I have started seeds for years and years now... I even went through a hort 2 yr program... some things are way easier to start then others, some are so hard I literally have decided they aren't worth the frustration... like Lavender.... I started several packets of seeds as soon as they hit the seed racks...in Jan I do believe, I have been nurturing the two that finally germinated to realize they were weeds. it only took me two months to actually LOOK closely at them. duh, it was "sticky gallatum" or some such weed. grr!.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  11. Bosque

Bosque Seedling

Ok out of all the seedlings I got wrong. We did determine those are begonas and not african violets right? Are these flowers popping out on the begonas? Or are my eyes just playing tricks on me? I have never grown begonas before and don't know how soon they start to flower when grown from seed. IMG_2209.JPG IMG_2208.JPG IMG_2207.JPG

waretrop and purpleinopp like this.
  12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Yep. Begonias. Nice ones too. You did a fine job getting them started.

purpleinopp likes this.
  13. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Yes, Bosque, those are blooms starting! Wax Begonias are root-hardy here and are just coming up & starting to bloom.
    2017-03-29 020.JPG
    A new hanging basket that I put together last weekend. A few of the stems already had roots, but most are cuttings. Some are in the top of the pot, others are stuck through holes I cut in the sides. Soon there should be enough foliage to hide the fugly pot.
    2017-03-29 016.JPG 2017-03-29 017.JPG
    A jar of cuttings, now full of roots. Cut around December I think. Philodendrons & Callisias.
    2017-03-29 022.JPG

14. liono

liono Seedling

Well Done! I tried rooting Rosemary in water but could not in all the ways I tried. How did you do this? in what month and what temperatures? did u do it indoor or out door? How long does it take to root?

purpleinopp likes this.
  15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Liono, rosemary roots fairly easily in a 50/50 mix of perlite and vermiculite. If those two components aren't available, a sterile starting mix will do. Take a 6" cutting, strip off the leaves from the bottom 1/3, and place it in the damp mix. After covering it with a plastic dome (I use 2 litre soda bottles with the bottom cut off) and waiting three to four weeks, we get roots. These are just starting to root--I pulled them out of the mix for demonstration purposes for a gardening class. Take about double of the cuttings that you want to root--about half will fail, for some reason or another! Rosemary Roots.jpg