A Great Show

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Sydney Smith, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. Just had to send this in. Do not think I have ever seen so many flowers(any) in a 12 inch diameter before Theres 3 or 4 plants in the pot DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0006.JPG .

donm and Jewell like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What a glorious colour those polyanthus are Syd. I have many different colours in my garden and they always make me smile.

4. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Eileen. A lovely blue for sure - many so called blue flowers tend to have that touch of mauve/red in them but these are more or less without it. Gentians are to me the truest blue but sadly try as I may, and I really did, they just do not like me and never stayed for long.
    This pot of Primroses we found when we first came here - looking very dried out and sorry for themselves - repotted with new compost and much TLC has restored them gradually to their current nice healthy look and they whilst always good for a show is their best yet. Syd.

marlingardener likes this.
  5. eileen

Funnily enough I've tried to grow gentians too Syd without much joy. Have you ever thought about growing the Poppy - Himalayan Blue Meconopsis baileyi? They are the most beautiful true blue flowers and really stand out in the garden.

Advertisement
  6. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Eileen. Yes indeed I did/have many times thought of giving it a try but from reading about it it seemed one of those impossible dreams - it either liked you or it did not and was particularly finicky about its growing conditions etc. I have never been chicken hearted generally about giving "iffy" plants a go but missed that one out. I have to say though with all humility over all my gardening years ( now near enough 60) I have got away with plants that by reading I never had a chance with. So two directions - give it a go with hope and try hard to produce the conditions recommended for them or leave them be - lets face it so many many humbler and easier to grow plants are also beautiful - the challenge aspect also comes into it I guess. I typed up a list of all the plants I grew over the years - thats different species and also varieties and I filled four A4 sheets with a double column and into half a column on a fifth and more which never were added in more recent years.
    Oftentimes having given an "iffy" plant a go they did well for a time but faded eventually - as with the old fashioned double flowered Primroses including the old double white and old double pink which I dearly wanted to succeed with - having a particular liking for the "old cottage garden plants" which I hunted for high and low and grew a lot - love them still and they are mostly the simplest of plants. Gosh don't I rattle on. Best wishes. Syd.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Gorgeous! I don't think I've ever seen such so many blooms on one plant!

8. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Netty. They are very nice and best they (theres 3 or 4 plants in there) have ever done. A good early show of Crocus but they are already going over so lets hope these and the other Primulas do better. Several of the herbaceous perennials showing through - the first was/is the white flowered Dicentra Bleeding Heart. Syd.

9. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Fl 010.jpg Amaryllis bulb given by neighbour a few years ago - grown indoors - they come as a prepared pack- ready to go - just add water.

Jewell likes this.
  10. Ms kitty 01

Ms kitty 01 In Flower

Awesome pix folks. Thanks for sharing.

11. eileen

I love amaryllis as they are such blousy and attractive flowers. Sadly I don't have any now but I do have a Clivia lily which is rather nice.

12. Ms kitty 01

Ms kitty 01 In Flower

Beautiful

13. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Eileen, Kitty. Very attractive and lasted in bloom some time indoors. There is another very attractive bulbous plant I grew for years at first property - not hardy but planted under a nice full sun south wall it did well - it was basically evergreen and I did wrap all its foliage round it and cover round with straw in winter - no trouble really to do. Plant was Crinum powellii - a large bulb which increases in size as it ages, long sword shaped leaves and sprays of pink Lily like flowers. It was with me for years and I left it there when we moved.
    Syd.

14. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

DSC_0023.JPG DSC_0031.JPG DSC_0020.JPG DSC_0025.JPG More plants currently putting on a great show - Wild Wood Violets in the garden - allowed to wander more or less at will - The always very reliable Primula Wanda - I did once have some "Hose in Hose" in with them but now all singles - the Rhubarb well on its way and grown mainly for its foliage though some is eaten. Syd.

Jewell likes this.
  15. eileen

Your Rhubarb is coming on nicely Syd. Spring had definitely found you and is beginning to show itself up here too.

16. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Eileen. Yes indeed everything is now really taking off with herbaceous plants up everywhere and flowers galore on several plants. Its interesting to note that in this garden that very frail delicate looking white Dicentra is always the first to show through the ground - its a lot tougher than it looks. Hope your Spring will soon be with you as ours is here. I get the feeling that Primulas generally would do well where you are - do you grow any/many?. Regards. Syd.