A great week in the garden....

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Sherry8, Aug 23, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

August 21, 2015 599 (2).jpg August 21, 2015 285 (2).jpg August 21, 2015 456 (2).jpg August 21, 22015 038 (2).jpg August 2, 2015 009 (2).jpg August 21, 2015 675 (2).jpg

It has been a busy time in the garden...the Orioles are still here, in fact it is hard to keep the grape jam filled...The hummingbirds are quite active and the butterflys are busy...the young Oriole was enjoying a bath in the little bird bath...

Tooty2shoes, Frank, Pianolady and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Your photos continue to amaze! We have hummingbirds who visit our feeders every morning, and we saw our first goldfinch of the season last week. Our butterflies, especially the Gulf Fritillaries, are all over--one hitched a ride on my shoulder on the way to the barn.
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful wildlife photos.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I agree your photographs are amazing Sherry. You and Jane are so lucky to have butterflies in your gardens. This year I've hardly see any here and the few I have haven't stayed long despite the flowers I grow especially for them.

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I love your photos Sherry. I wonder if you are referred to in the birdy community as the "house with the grape jam". Word gets around quickly!

Advertisement
  6. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Thank you Marlingardener, Eileen and Frank for the kind words.
    I do hope word has gotten out about the jam here...at one time we have counted 12 Orioles here at the same time. I will stock up on jam this winter Frank...
    Eileen...I had just found out a while back that the wasp eat the eggs the Monarchs lay. I see the Monarchs on the swampweed but I have only seen two caterpillars so far. I have noticed an abundance of wasp on the swampweed or butterfly weed...I think that is a big problem here. August 2, 2015 134 (2).jpg

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

How I envy your photographic abilities! And also the wildlife you have enticed to your yard. The photo of the baby Oriole just great!

8. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Those are great shots Sherry. I have dill growing for the butterflies but so far no caterpillars. We do have quite a few wasps here also.

9. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Thank you 2ofus and Tooty2shoes...

2ofus....I have had so many birds bathing and drinking in those small birdbaths...I have 2 of them out sitting on the patio wall, right in front of my living room window...