A Large Writing Spider

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by toni, Jul 24, 2007.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I call them Charlotte after the spider in Charlotte's Web.

Last year we had one out front but this one has suspended herself up high between several of the 6 foot tall Cannas out back. I first saw her yesterday but the batteries in my camera were dead and I didn't have the car to go buy more, I was very happy to see she was still hanging around in the same spot this morning.

[​IMG]

She really isn't as green in real life as this picture shows.
    [​IMG]

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Chitweed

Chitweed In Flower

Yikes. I know they are wonderful in the garden, and make such amazing webs...but I just get so creeped out by spiders. One of those 'things' I guess we all have. I have a live and let live attitude in the garden when it comes to spiders...I just give them a wide berth.

cherylad likes this.
  4. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

seeing them in the garden doesn't bother me so much, but touching one? gaaahhh! Great photos, I'm going back to looking at my bumblebees!

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Cool spider Toni! I actually LIKE spiders, especially in the garden. My daughter squeals when she sees one!

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a curious spider. it looks pretty big. It is a welcome and attractive inhabitant in your garden, right? I wish that I had a couple of those. it looks as pretty as the flowers.

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sjoerd they are also known as a gardens best friend. All they do is catch critters in their web and feast on them. ;)

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Good photo of a great spider, Toni! Their webs are unique--and makes it easy for gardeners to spot them and not disturb their webs. The spiders are "argiopes" and do a world of good in the garden. We have several right now, one living in the herb garden outside the kitchen door.

9. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I run across the Argiope spiders frequently. They are big and pretty... not that I like spiders... but you have to respect them doing their thing in nature.
    I was working in a garden once doing an autumn tidy, (thanks EJ) :p that had an abundance of purple Coneflowers in it. The Argiope had a big web built in their midst. (those webs are so cool, they look like stitching) I didn't want to desroy the web, or disturb the big old spider, so I left those coneflowers standing. When I was finished, it was very evident that I hadn't cleaned up where the spider was. I had to explain myself to the homeowner. it was funny...

10. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

Wow. That's a nice spider.
    I also spotted quite a few spiders (different kinds) in my flower garden, looks like they prefer parts with some shade.
    I try to avoid destroying their webs but sometimes I am aware of them TOO LATE :(

11. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I have a friend that goes ballistic when she finds a spider...I think she would pass out if she had one on her. I guess we all have things we don't like. I like spiders ...very interesting and great work that they do.