A Last Look At Mother's Garden

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Droopy, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Some of you have seen photos of mother's garden before, some of you have not. We have started to move it. It's a very sad job but has to be done in order to preserve her plants. So here's what it looks like now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Obviously I need help, so I'm hiring someone. I have one interview today and another one tomorrow. Forecast says rain for at least a week, but we'll just have to get started anyhow. We need to prepare my borders, dig up, pot some and plant some. Mother's friends and a couple of mine will take some of the plants but I won't be able to find new homes for all of them. Some are just too weird to be attractive to anybody but hardcore plant collectors. I'll try though. Can't bear to throw them away. I'm thinking about a come-dig-yourself-do after we've removed the ones we don't want to give away.

Most of what you see will be turned into lawn. The house is ideal for families with children, and they want lawns. The estate brokers informed me that the property is almost impossible to sell the way it is, and I believe them.

After four weeks of emptying the house it's good to be outside again. Wish me luck.

stratsmom, Raddang, 2ofus and 4 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

These are for me, moving fotos. Happiness and sorrow.
    Thanks so much for posting them...I have such good memories.

stratsmom, 2ofus and Cayuga Morning like this.
  4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Such a shame, so many years of love went into that garden for it to be turned into lawn. So glad you are keeping so many of your Mothers plants Droopy.

stratsmom, 2ofus and Cayuga Morning like this.
  5. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. Thats a lovely lovely garden - so many corners to walk round and surprises to find - and what a selection of plants. That is certainly a "plantswomans" garden - superb.
    I wish you well.

Cayuga Morning likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Droopy, I would snap up that garden in a heartbeat! It looks lovely. But I get it, most families with children are not garden connoisseurs....they will want space for the kids to play.

I wish you well with your task. I have done that too many times already. Hard to clean out a home of a loved relative. So many memories.

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I really hope you find people to take the plants Droopy. It really is a beautiful garden and it would be wonderful if the plants could carry on thriving elsewhere.

8. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

What a heart breaking job. It is sad to dismantle a beautiful garden like that but I can understand the reasoning.

9. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Your mother put so much love and attention into her garden that it's good to know that all her plants won't just get torn up and discarded. This way her memory will live on and her beloved plants will enhance many new gardens and give pleasure to those who receive them. A 'come dig yourself' is a great idea when everyone else has chosen the ones they want. It's not an easy task by any means and I'm sure you'll shed tears but you're doing exactly what I hope my children will do with my garden once I'm gone.

10. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Gorgeous garden. Truly beautiful. Sad it has to be dismantled. How old is it?

11. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I see beauty. What a shame to see it our of repair. Even if you take what you want it can be spiffied up right quick. Hope you do well with it....

12. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

Sad to have to take it all apart but at least you know it gave so much pleasure to a competent gardener. A haven of green, I love it......

Islandlife likes this.
  13. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

hugs to you

14. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Mother was working on that garden for 40+ years. Some of the Rhododendron are that old. They've got stems thicker than my arms and are impossible to dig up. We have to leave them. I guess by this time next year they've been sawed down and are no more. I'm not going back to that house for several years. Can't bear to see what the new owners have done.

Islandlife likes this.
  15. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

When we bought this house almost 30 years ago, the late owner's daughter (I think jokingly, but we weren't sure) said that if we heard rustling in the shrubs not to worry, it would only be her checking to see what we had done to her Mom's house. I don't want to be around to see what changes another owner of this house will make.

Frank and Droopy like this.
  16. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Bittersweet, huh? It is so sad that you couldn't find a person who would have loved to have the house just as it was, but look how many people can enjoy a bit of your mums love and joy.... She loved it and it gets to be enjoyed with many who obviously appreciate plants.

Droopy likes this.