A ligularia, but which one?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Cayuga Morning, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I picked this plant up several years ago at the local Garden Club sale. It is obviously a ligularia, but which one? In spring & early summer, the leaves are a deep maroon color & stand up straight. the whole plant is probably 2 1/2 feet tall, with large maroon leaves. It is quite striking in the garden & grows well in shade. Here are some photos. With bloom, the leaves tend to flop a bit. I think next year I will provide support.

Image00008.jpg

Image00009.jpg

2. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Maybe it is Ligularia dentata?????

3. Cayuga Morning

Thanks Barb. I checked out the photos. I think it is in the dentata family as the flowers look the same, but the bloom time on my plant is later & the leaves are maroon. I'll see if there is a dentate cultivar. Thanks

4. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Cayuga that is a really pretty looking plant. Hummm, I wonder if it would grow in my area. I'm in a 5 zone and have a front garden that could use some color this time of year. Looks like the leaves are being eaten by slugs or some kind of bug. This year the earwigs where really bad around our place. So my plants looked like someone had gone mad with a flour sifter. As I gave them all a good coating of DEA. :scheming:

5. Cayuga Morning

Hi Toots... Yes just recently something has gotten to the leaves. I bet it would grow in zone 5. Do you have a bit of shade? Or moisture?