A Little Winter Walk

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Jewell, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    We visited the cabin this long weekend to sleep, eat and relax. Two of the state parks in the area were sold, and this is one. We hadn't visited this trail since it sold, so decided to take a walk and explore.
    image.jpg
    The weather was perfect for a stroll. Spring hasn't quite arrived but you didn't need a coat and the skies showed blue between the clouds. The photos aren't very good since I only had my phone, but the moss was covering some old stumps and deadfall along the old creek trail. image.jpg image.jpg
    Unfortunately it appeared that selective logging and moss harvesting had happened in the area closest to the creek and clear cutting on the upper hillside. The port had made it clear that this was to provide some sort of income. With new skid trails from logging it was a good thing I was leading. My DH would have ended up in the National Forest if we had followed the now misplaced signs like he suggested.
    image.jpg image.jpg
    Sorry, I wasn't inclined to take photos of the logged over areas. It was a bit depressing.
    Both here and in our subdivision signs had been posted about cats. Guess some poor pet had been snatched in front of its owner. There had been a few other encounters. In the past we had heard some big cats screaming on a couple of occasions during their winter breeding cycle. More people just provides more opportunities for wildlife and human paths to cross. image.jpg
    It wasn't long before we finished our walk where we had begun..back home at the cabin. image.jpg
    It is nestled away from the sun, hidden among 150 foot Douglas fir trees, that provide. seclusion from neighboring homes and cabins.
    image.jpg
    A small quiet place to escape the noise of the urban environment for a short while.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2015
    donm and Bernieh like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Bernieh

Bernieh In Flower

It looks like a fabulous place to enjoy the quiet.

Jewell likes this.
  4. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

What a beautiful place for relaxing and enjoying nature. I love the photo of the moss covered stump.

Jewell likes this.
  5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

A beautiful area to enjoy walking outdoors. I think I would have been a little nervous after seeing that sign though!

Jewell likes this.

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I'd love to spend a few days/weeks at that cabin. What a beautiful spot!

Jewell likes this.
  7. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

That walk was a real treat after 10 inches of snow last night. Looks like a very peaceful place to unwind.

Jewell likes this.
  8. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I am glad you all enjoyed the walk. It is a peaceful area still, although there are more full timers. The parks are only busy on holiday weekends. The rest of the time it is still like a private oasis. This is a very depressed area economically with a small community feel. We do on occasion rent out the cabin. I even had it on AirBnB for a short while, but it is too long a drive to clean house. It is mainly a family and friend get away. The lake is real pretty and the parks are great year round for water fun. image.jpg

Attached Files:

cherylad likes this.