A skunk in my chicken coop.... PEEE WEWWW!!!

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by carolyn, Jun 20, 2011.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Tooty, that's what happened to some of my broiler chicks last year. :'( it was a horrible sight to see. My layer chicks, the coon climbed over my outside fence and into the inside fence and killed them all. Leaving many of them dead but not eaten. What a terrible waste!

I just came back in from the coop and it does NOT smell any better than it did this morning when I put the "skunk off" down :( . It was worth the try, but it wasn't successful.

2. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

We've got slugs and lily beetles, and that's about it. No bears, chipmunks or skunk weed either. I guess our gardening problems are more weather related and not pest related.

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Wow Droopy, As much as I hate to say this, I'll take our weather and our pests over cold and wet and cold, did I mention cold? I'm a little quirky that way, I guess. I love my greenhouses, especially when it is cold and wet and cold out. I can kind of be outside, but I'm not out in the cold.

4. kimham

kimham New Seed

Hello,
    My dog was sprayed with a skunk and it was late so there were no stores open. I looked online and found a receipt for a skunk spray removal that really works. I was shocked how effective it was and it helped after only about 1 minute. I washed the dog about 3 times and rinsed between washings.. Here is the recipe and you may already have the ingredients in your home;

baking soda (not baking powder)
    hydrogen peroxide
    blue dawn dishwashing liquid

I mixed enough of the baking soda and the hydrogen peroxide to make a thin paste that would cover the dog and then I added a small amount of the dawn. I didn't put too much dawn in because there would have been too much lather. So I washed the little guy and rinsed well, then I washed him again, rinsed, and washed him once more.
    I could not believe how fast this worked. I hope it helps you and wish anyone who has skunk spray luck with getting rid of that horrible smell.

Advertisement
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh I'm so glad we don't have skunks here in Scotland!! I'm sure your recipe will help many of our members out.

WELCOME to our forums and I hope you'll stay around and become a regular poster. :-D

6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I've used that recipe too. And it does work.