Abundance of flowers but no fruits

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Tina, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

This is the first year I am growing any vegetables (other than tomatoes). The zucchini starts were given to me by a friend. This plant now has a lot of flowers but not one fruit. Is there something wrong with it? Also, my cucumber plant (I started it from seed) has grown so tall but still has no flowers or fruits. What's going on? Both these plants get about 6/7 hours of direct sunlight.
    Here is a picture of my Zucchini plant :

[​IMG]
    Zucchini ( photo / image / picture from Tina's Garden )

Thanks

AAnightowl likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Tina, be patient. That zucchini is pretty small. The plant will grow, and start to set squash. Probably the same thing with your cucumbers.

Clay_22 likes this.
  4. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Thanks MG :)
    I guess I need to learn the 'be patient' part soon. Also, our very short summer makes me very nervous.

5. Green Fingers

Green Fingers Seedling

yes Tina just wait and soon the female flowers will bloom and after that you will get so many fruits that you will get tired of picking them! Good luck :)

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I always find that they send out the male flowers for a few weeks until the female flowers start to appear. Patience Tina, they will come :)

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

Yes, the male flowers always come first. Its a guy thing I guess. :-D

Tina, marlingardener and carolyn like this.
  8. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I know around here, it has been a strange year for many gardeners. The weeds are growing fast and thriving.

The fruits and veggies are slow and not doing so well. Flowers are slow and quite behind for the season. We had some late cold spells that might have slowed them down. Now we have had at least 2 back to back polar fronts with cooler than normal temps for July. I love the cooler temps! I dont think hot weather plants agree though. Tomatoes and peppers are just not doing much. Neither are the cukes, squashes and melons. I have only a few small fruits set so far on the latter ones. If they don't get growing, it will be frost time soon. A lot of gardeners are having the same problems.

In Washington, you have a colder climate than Missouri, so a shorter growing season. Your plant looks healthy, so it ought to be setting fruits soon.

9. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    In this maritime climate I don't expect anything before mid August. If I get anything I consider it a blessing. We usually have a dry September and the first part of October where the veggies keep producing if the mildew doesn't attack. Even with the heat we've had this summer the nights are cool. You'll get those zukes. For success with cucumbers I only grow the little lemon cucumbers. They are great sliced and stay sweet. Might want to try them next year. I am sure yours will come along with time this year.

By the way zucchini flowers are great battered in egg and cooked. I often do that with the male flowers.

10. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

I think of it this way:
    The male comes out first to make sure it's all clear and safe for the female to come out and bring the little ones.
    Watch out for the munchers!