Added an Anthurium to the collection

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Kay, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I was given this Anthurium by my sister-in-law after a family funeral. I have never grown one, as they are not that popular and seem to be treated as a "temporary plant" typically given at funerals.
    I am wondering if anyone has them, or has any advice.
    It is in a little pot (for the size of the plant) and is pot-bound.
    Right now, it is in my sunroom (south and east windows) and I am monitoring it to keep it moist; along with misting it. Thanks, anyone? IMG_1107.JPG

2. Loading...

3. catay5

catay5 New Seed

I've also heard they enjoy getting their leaves wet! I have one in a similar sunny spot it seems to enjoy.

I let my current one dry out then run it under a tap to water, letting the water run off before putting it back. My last one died with moldy roots so be careful.

4. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

catay5- Thanks so much for your reply. I've had this for around a month now and it seems to be holding its own. A few of the leaves are getting brown along the edges, and one of the red ones has shriveled... so I cut it off. I continue to mist and check the potting mix to keep it moist but not too wet and not too dry.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

A couple of years ago they were sold at Lowe's around Christmas time planted in wine bottles.....the top half was cut off the bottle to hold the plant and was placed in the bottom half which served as the water reservoir. There was a tab of wicking sticking out of the top half to draw water up to the plant.
    It out grew that holder last year and is now in a larger pot and doing great. I have it in the kitchen under the fluorescent light fixture above the sink.

Kay likes this.
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That is a healthy and nice looking plant, Kay.

purpleinopp and Kay like this.