Advantages/disadvantages of textured ceiling in new home?

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by marlo, Jan 18, 2008.

1. marlo

marlo New Seed

Unsure if we should texture the ceiling of our new, contemporary styled home. There is a very large great room with a vaulted ceiling...if using texturing, how should that be treated? Is texturing a thing of the past, or considered a modern design element? Your help is appreciated.

2. Loading...

3. designeronline

designeronline New Seed

In my professional opinion, adding texture to a ceiling can date a home. I feel that is it indeed a thing of the past and if you are able to have smooth ceilings, I would most certainly do so. A smooth ceiling is a classic element and will never go out of style, regardless of the style (traditional or contempory) of a home. Hope this helps.

4. Jenny62

Jenny62 New Seed

I am not sure about they idea of textured ceilings. The seem like a good idea at the time, but much like the ones done in the 1970's and 80's, they are a nightmare to change once they fall out of fashion.

I would defiantly recommend getting one of these clothes airer, they look great and dry your washing in no time at all.

5. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

The 'cottage cheese' ceilings are history. People buying homes now that have the textured ceiling are scraping it off! ;)

Advertisement
  6. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

I would say hang the fads and just go with what *you* like - you're the one living there, after all. I prefer some texture to a ceiling (but not 'popcorn') just for visual interest and occasionally for sound-damping. We have a 'spatter' effect on the ceiling of our dining room and it looks good with the lights going across it all the time. I've seen some pretty interesting things done with plastering/texturing too.

Just my thoughts...

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Our kitchen ceiling is textured in a pattern of concentric circles, that's an old style but I love it. The rest of the rooms have the popcorn texture ceilings.
    I refuse to go with the 'that's so yesterday' way of thinking whether it is clothes, furniture, etc. or even involves which plants and trees you garden with. Just makes you spend more money trying to keep up with something someone else has decided is the must have that week.

I would be an interior designers worst nightmare come true ;)

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Toni we both have ceilings that aren't supposed to by 'with it' as I have textured ceilings too. Living in an old cottage I'd say to heck with fashion trends as the ceilings look good with our other 'old fashioned' features. :-D