Advice sought regarding black precipitation on tree stems

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by garble, Sep 16, 2013.

1. garble

garble New Seed

Hi Guys,

I've got a young acacia tree (about 2 meters high) that is covered with a black precipitation on most of its branches. I’m a new gardener and was hoping to get some advice as to what it might be and how to treat it if it is troublesome. I am in the Southern hemisphere where we are now at the beginning of spring. I’ve only just come to own the tree so I’m not sure how long it has been like this. I’ve attached two fotos showing the branches and the black spots on the bark. Thank you for all feedback!

[​IMG]
    tree_stem2 ( photo / image / picture from garble's Garden )

[​IMG]
    tree_stem1 ( photo / image / picture from garble's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I don't know what is up with your tree but I would think it's sap. I am sure others will come behind me and let you know.

I want to send you a big welcome to our little group.
    We have a wealth of info around here and love to help out when we can? Where do you love? We are very interested in what else you grow.

Enjoy your stay here.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there garble.

Does the black stuff on your acacia rub off or is it sticky? If it rubs off then it may be a fungal growth of some sort. Your local garden centre should be able to let you know the best fungicide for acacias.

Welcome to GardenStew by the way and I hope you'll make your stay with us a long one.

5. garble

garble New Seed

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions. I come from South-Africa where these trees are quite common. I’ve had a look at the residue again and it is not sticky. When you rub it off it becomes fine and powdery. Looking at a number of other acacia trees in the area, many of them have this stuff to a greater or lesser extent. Although some of them seem mostly absent of it. I guess that this points to a fungus that likes this species perhaps?

Advertisement
  6. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Are you going to treat it? Please keep us posted as to what you are going to do? Let us know who things turn out.

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Mmmm it sounds like a type of sooty fungus. I hope you can get rid of it from your tree.