African Violet wisdom please. I

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Ronni, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've had this african violet for a few years now. It's always been healthy, produces lovely pink flowers routinely when it has enough light, (took me a while to find the right place to put it when I moved in with Paige) and all in all it's been a wonderful plant.

But it has this weird stem thing or root thing happening. That's part of the problem...I don't know if what I'm seeing is part of the stem or part of the root. It's all thick and is growing above the soil. I thought that what I was seeing extended down into the soil, but when I really got up close and personal I realized that nope, it's just sort of sitting there, and has a couple tendrils (roots?) that go down into the soil, making the entire plant really wiggly and like I could just pull it right up if I wasn't careful.

I don't know that I'm explaining it very well. Here are the pictures of the thick root/stem thing that I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What the heck IS that and what do I do about it? :eek:

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. lori_15
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Bosque
      Replies:
      Views:

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

it is normal. It is the stem of the african violet and the "tendrils" are the leaf petioles (the leaf stem) that have died and dried up. As the plant grows the stem keeps getting longer and is not able to stand up tall as this is just the nature of the violet and it rests on the ground . nothing wrong with your plant. It looks like you are doing a great job with it.

4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Carolyn, thanks so much for that explanation.

So...I was thinking I should maybe repot it? Bigger pot, and cover that stem that's currently above the soil level? Would that be OK to do?

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Carolyn has got you covered it looks like.
    The only thing that I want to say is that I would remove those leaves and stems. Actually when they die, I would remove them THEN and not leave them there to dry up and compost. I say this because you know that this plant lurves moisture and so the dead foliage bits (in the presence of moisture) is a perfect medium for agents like fungus to colonize.

If you elect to repot the plant, I would cover that thick and exposed bit of stem that snakes around at the soil line (after removing the dead leafs and stems)...although it probably isn't necessary per se.
    I am absolutely not an authority on this type of plant.

Good luck Ronni.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I think I would say to not cover the stem for fear of rotting it if it stays moist... BUT I don't know for sure. do pull the old dead leaf and petioles off to clean it up. They will attract fungus to the stem as the decay perhaps causing damage to the stem.

7. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Thanks guys. Need to go buy a bigger pot, then I'll get to it. I don't need a different kind of potting soil do I? I've never repotted an african violet before.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I actually do think there is a specific mix of potting media to choose from... just make sure you don't use soil... use a soiless mix. Soil carries all kinds of organisms (fungal and bacterial) that can kill off the violet.

9. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

carolyn, are you talking about an actual African Violet mix? Like....y'know....there's a specific mix you can buy pre-mixed, for orchids. You mean, like that?

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I do believe so. I think I saw it in a pink bag at one point. Otherwise use a regular potting mix from hyponex or whatever brand you have there as long as it is potting mix and NOT potting soil. I bought some bags that were labeled potting soil (unawares to me- I thought it was potting mix, I bought it with my order of spring materials a few years ago, I didn't see the bag ahead of time) and the stuff is disgusting. It was from baccto.

11. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Yeah....I made that same mistake several years ago too. Different brand names, but sheesh! I usually buy miracle grow stuff....found that to be the best in my part of the world. Anyway, there was another brand on sale...can't now remember the name, but it was a well known brand, not an off brand or generic or anything. And yeah, it was soil not mix, and it was really pretty bad. :(

OK, I'll look for actual african violet mix when I go get a bigger pot.

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I had someone donate me a bunch (like 50 bags maybe) of Scotts a few years ago... it was awful. It killed my new seedlings.

13. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Ronni, I would repot the plant, cleaning all the debris along the old stem and centering it in a new, African violet, pot just like you have there. One pot goes into another. They are wonderful to keep the plant moist enough. You will find african violet soil at lowes or home depot or anywhere. To avoid the situation like this just turn the plant in it's pot a quarter of a turn each week or so. It should stay centered and not try to crawl out of the pot leaning toward the sun.

carolyn likes this.
  14. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Barb, thanks so much for your information. Yeah, I wondered why it stopped growing up (like in the pic with the flowers) and started growing sort of sideways. Its light source is sort of oblique, which is why I guess it's leaning like that. Good to know.