African Violets

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Tina, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

My friend gave me a bunch of African violets in October. she propagated these herself.. Only one of them is blooming. Why aren't the others blooming and what should I do to properly take care of them? I notice that the leaves are drooping too. And some of the leaves just shrivel and die.
    I thought I was over watering. So since the last couple of months, I water them thoroughly once a month. They sit in a wide window sill, so get plenty of sun light.
    The one that is flowering along with the one which refuses to :

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Tina's Garden )

A couple of them seems to have outgrown their pots. I repot the second one today. Should I repot the first one too?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. lori_15
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Ronni
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I would re-pot both of them. Is there a cold draft from that window? One of mine looked like that and I moved it and it's doing better now.

4. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Being very dry and then very wet sounds like a tough cycle. Is it taking that long for them to dry out? Did you ask your friend how your conditions/care are different from hers, or are her plants not blooming also?

There are 2 reasons plants wilt. The first is because there is no moisture in the soil to deliver to the foliage. The second is because the roots are damaged and unable to perform that function.

It doesn't look like water has been sitting in the drip saucers, which would likely cause root damage, although you may be one of those conscientious folks who take plants to the sink to drink'n'drip, then put back on saucers. That would also help avoid damaged roots through excess moisture being in a pot.

The soil looks dry, just going by your pics (which can be deceiving,) so I suspect monthly watering may be not be often enough to keep your plants from wilting. It may have been enough in the past, but as the roots have filled the pot, there is less room for water to be, and more roots using it, which may be why your plants' needs have changed.

If the pot is full of roots, I would agree with Netty about repotting, (removing all old soil, trimming roots, replacing in same or bigger pot with new soil, and she may have also noticed the white salt/hard water deposits at the soil surface.

5. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Thank you both!!