Airplane plant

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by teddybear, Apr 28, 2007.

1. teddybear

teddybear In Flower

I got a airplane plant about two weeks ago. It already has several 'babies' :D and more on the way. Now the tips of the leaves are turning brown and some of the leaves have turned a pale yellow :oops: . what am I doing wrong?

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi Teddybear,
    The problem could be either not enough sun, too much sun that is burning the leaves or too much water.

Where do you have it hanging?

4. teddybear

teddybear In Flower

It's hanging above a window that is covered by a porch (I don't have any direct sun in my house :'( ). So it can't be to much sun. I may have over watered...again this morning! I tend to love them to death :oops: . How do I know when and how much? About a 10" pot.

5. toni

The best way to tell when to water is to stick you finger into the soil, if it is dry more than an inch below the surface then water. You can watch the water being absorbed by the soil and if it is in a pot with a drain hole in the bottom you can tell it has enough when the water starts coming out the bottom into the drain tray.

Since it isn't in direct sun you probably do not need to water very often, just go by how dry the soil is.

You are not the only one who has loved a plant to death. That and having a new baby in the family leaving me no time to tend houseplants are the reasons I haven't had houseplants for almost 20 years...until last month when I bought a Piggyback Plant.:-D

Advertisement
  6. teddybear

teddybear In Flower

Thanks for the help! I think I will wait a few days before I water again. What is a piggyback plant. I've never heard of it before.

7. toni

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/20071/

This shows a pretty good picture of it. Where the airplane (aka Spider plant in case you ever hear that name) forms new plantlets on individual stems, the Piggyback plant forms them on top of the mother leaf. Hence the name piggyback.

I first had one in Florida and it took years (almost 30 in fact) to find one here. I have it in a bright window in the bathroom, hanging over the tub.

8. teddybear

teddybear In Flower

Thanks for the pics. I've never seen one of those before. I'll have to keep my eyes open for it. Thanks again for all the help.