Allotment news - July 2011

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by EJ, Jul 3, 2011.

1. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

A whole selfish day spent on the allotment, my own little vegetable paradise.

I have had several long visits of late and have managed to almost keep on top of the weeding, although the frequent rain followed by hot, balmy days has encouraged them to grow at great speed. This damp, warm weather has also encouraged to crops to grow quickly, so it isn't all bad news.
    [​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from EJ's Garden )

I am digging up potatoes as I need them. We don't eat a lot of spuds, so my 4 rows should give us enough spuds to last into the winter. At the moment we are harvesting Kestrel, a delicious round spud with purple eyes. It is very creamy, a great boiler, fab hot or cold. As I clear my spuds, I am firming the area lightly and raking it, and then planting my leek plantlets. I am very organised this year - I normally miss the leek boat. These should provide chunky aliums to enjoy during the late winter and early spring.
    [​IMG]
    The beetroot haven't minded the long dry spring at all. These were sown in modules back at home in very early spring and planted out once they had their first set of true leaves. I sowed 3 seeds to a module and have enjoyed the first set of thinnings when the beets were the size of golf balls. We are now on the second thinnings when they are just slightly smaller than a tennis ball. The rest will be harvested as and when we want them and some might get huge, but I have found roasting them is just the best way of cooking them, even when they are monsters.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My courgette plants are now providing us with masses of fruits. I have a yellow variety called Soleil, which is supposed to be more flavoursome than the green. The green one, I can't remember his name! I have about 8 plants all sown at different times to stagger the harvesting....at least that is the plan.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The fruits are enjoying the wet and the soft fruits have been marvellous this year. I am continuously waxing lyrical about my raspberries, and I will again. The variety I grow is called Glen Ample, and the fruits are ample, and the amount of fruit the canes produce is ample. I have made jam, pavlovas, given some away and frozen some, and still there are bucket fulls to ripen. The apples are also plentiful this year. There doesn't seem to have been much of a June drop so the boughs are heavy with young fruits. I have cut some branches back as they were creating a bit of a black eye hazard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had some clear beds where the onions and garlic had been harvested and they have been lightly forked, raked, firmed and are now being planted up with young plants to overwinter and prevent the dreaded 'hungry gap'. I have beetroot, turnips, lettuce, fennel, chard, spinach and brocolli at home in modules and I already have young plants of chard, dwarf French beans, lettuce and asparagus peas in the ground.
    [​IMG]
    I have harvested half of my broad beans now but have left a few plants in the ground to allow the beans to get really fat. I will freeze these ones along with some marrowfat style peas to use in stews over the winter.
    [​IMG]

The tomatoes are setting fruit quite happily now, so fingers crossed they ripen before they get the dreaded blight. I do grown them under a roof so they don't suffer from rain splash, one of the quickest spreaders of the blight spores.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    July is a busy time for the vegetable grower as now, not only are we harvesting and weeding like crazy, we also have to plan ahead and keep sowing so that come winter we have hardy crops to feed us. I have brassicas, swedes, turnips, leeks, carrots and parsnips, but have also started sowing some oriental greens which are very hardy and will happily stand all winter and will give us delicate salads. As you know, I am a working mum with 2.5 children, house, mum, chores, and life to keep me busy, so for me to have the luxury of 2 allotments, I have to be able to visit every single day of the year and harvest something to feed us, even if it is only some chard or kale in the depths of winter, and I succeed every single year. I also bottle fruits, make jams and chutneys and freeze all of my surplus so we are almost self sufficient in fruit and veg the whole year round. Now if only I could get my bananas and citrus plants more productive in the conservatory at home, I might never need buy anything from the greengrocery department again.

[​IMG]

I love my allotment.[​IMG]

eileen, KK Ng and Philip Nulty like this.
  2. Loading...