Almost forgotten Beauty.

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Tooty2shoes, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Last year for Mother's day I bought my Mom a tuberous begonia for her apt. After a few weeks I brought it home as she was forgetting to water it and it was looking so unhappy.
    When we had our first cold weather I moved it into my garage and forgot all about it. Which is probably why it survived. If I would have tried to keep it over winter it probably would have died. I have tried to keep other blubs over winter only to find them dried out and dead.
    So in June I went into the garage to get some pots and saw that there was something in one of the pots that had started to grow. o_O Hummmmm what could it be.
    Then it dawned on me:setc_002: Oh ya, it was the Begonia I gave my Mom last year. So I moved it outside under my upper deck, watered it and this is the beauty it turned into. :DI am so happy it is doing so well, as my 92 year old Mom is not.
    I believe it is in the Picotee color family of begonia. We will be getting some really warm weather for a few days. So it will be moving to the front porch which get late afternoon sun.
    Funny how some of the blossoms have reverted to what I suppose was the original single blossom. I love the color and have no idea what the name of it was. I would call it Angel Wings if I was going to give it a name. DSCN4431.JPG DSCN4432.JPG

2. Loading...

3. kate

kate In Flower

That's a beauty Toots!
    Later on I'll look in Google see if I can see a name.
    K

Tooty2shoes and Philip Nulty like this.
  4. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@Tooty2shoes - Beautiful! Must of been a lovely surprise :stew2::stew1::flower::stew1::stew2::flower::stew1::stew1::flower::stew2:

5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Beautiful colors,..and a great survivor,..it will thrive with the light and sun,..that's a keeper,..hoping your mom is doing better by now.

Tooty2shoes likes this.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

That is beautiful. well, done.

Philip Nulty and Tooty2shoes like this.
  7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

It looks so pretty and very happy!

Philip Nulty and Tooty2shoes like this.
  8. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Thank you everyone. I do love that it survived and am hoping to have it regrow every spring. My Mom is on end of life cares so I'm not sure how much longer she will be here. I am praying that she has no pain and just passes away in her sleep one night. I thank God that when I ask her how she is feeling she says that she is ok and has no pain. I know that she doesn't remember that she is on end of life cares. So I never bring it up.
    Maybe I will call this beautiful flower--"Mothers Love".
    Kate I would enjoy knowing it's true name if you find it.

9. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I am sorry that your Mom is doing so poorly, I went through this with my Mom about 2 1/2 years ago...it is not easy. Prayers for your Mom and her family...

The flower is beautiful...I have never been able to grow Begonias...I tried again with a couple in the house and they died within a month. The one out doors in a container is just so messy looking that I have been tempted to toss it a few times.

I have tried to keep plants over winter in our garage and it has not worked. I even kept them in Styrofoam containers but that didn't work either. I guess if I can't find room in the house , I will just have to buy them again next summer.

10. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I like those kind of surprises! hugs to you and your mom :heart:

Cayuga Morning and Philip Nulty like this.
  11. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Cayuga Morning and Tooty2shoes like this.
  12. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Sherry and Strats. Thank you for your hugs and prayers. Sherry I know exactly what you mean. That is why I was so pleased that this one survived and is doing so well.
    Philip-thank you for the great info. I will try and do that just in case like you said.

Philip Nulty likes this.