Amphibians 'n Hyacinths

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We took a little drive out into the countryside to see the commercial Hyacinth and Daffodil fields in bloom.
    hycin4.jpg

Such colours! They look so different from tulips. The colour tones, I mean. Some look like lavender fields in Norfolk....sorta.
    hycin3.jpg

These spriggly hyacinths are not a type that I had seen before:
    hycin.jpg

A closer look:
    hycin2.jpg

Then there were the signs of frog migration all over that area. There were large expanse of landscape with black rubber strips to guide the thousands frogs/toads to the tunnels under roads so that they wouldn't have to cross the asphalt where they could be squashed by passing auto's.
    Here you can see one place where the beasts can cross under the road.
    001.JPG

One thing that I cannot understand is why there are buckets sunk into the ground at the entrance of exit of the tunnel.
    016.JPG

Poor lil thing, I felt like it wanted me to take it out of the bucket. I wondered if I kissed the frog, if it would turn into a hyacinth....or perhaps I would have.

Volunteers come out and hand carry frogs across the roads during their spawning time.
    The process with the volunteers always takes place at night. I wondered if they gathered up the toads in their thousands, kissed them one-by-one, then tossed them into the fields where the toads turned into hyacinths and sent down roots. Stranger things have happened--take that girl who once kissed a frog and it turned into a PRINCE, for heavens' sake.
    Yep, I just couldn't bring myself to kiss that thing....i mean there was the question--was it a guy or a girl toad. Then the images of the order frog legs that I had in France that year. Nope--I allowed my chance for scientific investigation to pass.

Well, it was a good day with lots and lots to see. I know that there is someone on here that helps with saving migrating toads at their spawning time of year. I hope that she can come on and explain the process.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Kildale
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Kildale
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Awesome colours Sjoerd,..lots of it,..was there a big scent from all those blooms?.
    Interesting set up to allow the Frogs to cross the road,..thoughtful of some people,..as for the buckets,..strange as when a Frog gets inside it would find it very difficult to get out with the smooth sides,..unless it was very athletic and could jump out :rolleyes:,..it did cross my mind that someone was trapping a few Frogs for eating those Frog Legs :)

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Just a beautiful sight. Wow.

Sjoerd likes this.
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

PHILIP-- I believe that the idea is that people come by and release the frogs in the buckets regularly. The hyacinths did have some fragrance, but the stiff wind was blowing away from us. Good thing too because the fragrance would have been too strong, I believe.

Thanks CAROLYN--they really are beautiful, aren't they.

Advertisement
  6. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

What a sight, reminded of the time I was in Europe. The flower are beautiful but the toad err....

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sjoerd the buckets are used here to see if the frogs are carrying any diseases and are in good health. They also help to estimate the number of frogs migrating back to their home ponds and to see the ratio of male and females. They won't stay in the buckets for too long and will be released after they have been examined. I can only think that this is what they are used for in Holland too.
    Your photographs bring back so many memories of the beautiful flower fields you have. When Ian and I visited one year the lavender was in full bloom and the scent was intoxicating. The hyacinths are absolutely gorgeous!!

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Absolutely amazing! I can only imagine the scent by those fields!

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Glad that you liked those foto's KK. I'll bet you sow some beautiful flower sights when you were in Europe.

Thank you so much EILEEN--for clearing up the process. You are probably right about all of it. When the flowers are in bloom over here I often think of you because I know that you so dearly love beautiful flowers... and you have seen quite a lot over here.

NETTY--Yes they had a nice smell; but as I said, the wind was blowing away from us the whole time, so it wasn't so intense. Hyacinths can quickly become too strong for the nose. Three bulbs in our living room makes the nose burn. hahaha

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    Cayuga Morning likes this.
  10. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

Beautiful pictures Sjoerd. :like: As Eleen has mentioned, we too have tunnels under roads for the toads or frogs to pass under. If a major project or roadworks is planned here, the impact on the environment is an early consideration and the wildlife must be accomodated in the plans.

So many plants come here from Holland and I often see a huge lorry with equally large trailor at our local garden centre, that has come from Holland. Each one carrying hundreds of thousands of plants. :like:

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks so much RADDANG-- Mate......it is so good to hear from you. Have you come out of the hibernation? chuckle. I am actually quite interested in the work being done for the toads and frogs. There are also laws here making place for wildlife consideration.

Interesting that you see large lorrys with plants from here.

I repeat---Good to see you back on here.

12. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Raddang most of our plants and flowers also come from Holland. I'm always threatening to hi-jack one of their lorries and keep all the contents for myself. LOL

Sjoerd likes this.
  13. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Wow SJ what some gorgeous pic's of the flowers. The pastel colors are absolutely beautiful. I am so glad that they take extra precautions for the hoppy little critters. I always feel so sad when I see a turtle that has tried to cross the road and someone has run over it. :worried:

Sjoerd likes this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks so much, 2T--Yes, it is a sad sight to see dead animals on the highways.

15. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Sjoerd your photos are gorgeous & I am pleased to hear about the efforts your countrymen (& Raddang's too!) make to protect the frog/toad populations.

I am sure you will all think this is strange, but I must confess that toads and frogs have always been very dear to my heart, ever since I was a toddler. (Eons ago.) Our town was recently looking for volunteers to help with a frog counting project. Apparently there are are 16 species locally! Unfortunately the initial meeting conflicted with orher plans & I could not attend. I would have loved it though.

Any way I am as impressed with your country's efforts at frog protection as I am with your gorgeous fields of hyacinths.

Sjoerd likes this.
  16. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks so much CAYUGA--for your posting and compliments. Pity you had to miss that meeting, for even if you did not participate in the count, the information may have been interesting.
    I liked frogs and toads too as a youngster. One of the hallmarks of springtime here at the lottie is when the frogs come into the canal bordering our garden. They are easy to see and become taker as the summer goes on. Every time a train goes by they all begin croaking. Strange, that.