An odd tomato that needs an ID

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Netty, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

In my row of Sicilian Saucer tomatoes, there is one plant that looks different. It has leaves that look more like potatoes than tomatoes. It is producing large fruit that looks like this
    tom 2.JPG
    Anyone have ideas what this kind might be?

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty, there are tomatoes that have "potato leaves", and it looks as if you have one of them. Your tomato looks like an heirloom variety, but I have no idea which one.
    If you purchased the seed, a variant may have "snuck in" to the pack, and that's why you have this tomato.
    I'd save some seed, plant it next year, and see what happens. Ain't gardening fun?

Frank likes this.
  4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Netty, That one is sure pretty. I would save the seeds and grow them next year like marlingardener recommends.

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Go to a website that specializes in heirloom varieties and start looking through pics !! That's a beauty !!

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Netty, That is beautiful. Save the seeds. It doesn't look like anything I have ever seen, either. Does it taste good and how disease resistant is the plant? worth the effort to save the seeds? Or save them and share them and let others give it a try to see how it does.

7. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

If it was darker in color, I would guess a Cherokee purple, but it is likely some other variety. I had a freebie that was a cherry tomato this year. It came up in my compost pile, so I moved it over with the other tomatoes. It only made a few, but we enjoyed them anyhow. One site you can check out for heirloom tomatoes is www.rareseeds.com