Ancestry DNA test

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by toni, May 6, 2016.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

To prove or disprove some information running through my family I had a DNA test done through Ancestry.com last month. Turns out I am 93% European....divided between Great Britain, Ireland and Scandinavia with trace amounts from 5 other parts of Europe. From what I have read so far that puts me in the Irish/Viking combination. The other 3% is made up of 1% South African Bantu, 1% Mali (which is west Africa) and 1% Melanesia (area just northeast of Australia).

This is going to be a fun experience finding out just who those ancestors are and how they got together to make ME.

Hubby's DNA is in their lab being processed now and I am going to have my oldest daughter submit hers too since we know nothing about her Dad's family history.

Anyone else 'spitting in a cup' to have the test done?

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  2. CJay

CJay In Flower

My father had one done a while ago. And his, along with the family tree my grandmother had done (on my mom's side) would explain my affinity for edged weapons. But I just can't figure out where my ability to tan comes from.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  3. mart

mart Strong Ash

The tanning factor usually is because you have olive toned skin. Like me,, we just get darker and darker. I am Native American, Irish and German !! I am a Heinz 57.:)

Tooty2shoes and CJay like this.
  4. CJay

CJay In Flower

It's interesting to note that all of humanity shares 99% of the same DNA. One study says that by the polled DNA they tested the human population dropped down to about 40 breeding pairs about 75,000 years ago due to a massive volcanic erruption that nearly made us extinct. And they've theorized that the genetic disorders (both mental and physical) that we are experiencing now is because there hasn't been any new genetic material thrown into our population.

Advertisement
  5. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I've wondered about this Toni and wanted to try it. Do you feel it is pretty accurate?

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  6. toni

It is more accurate than many family stories passed down over the years. Certain member of our family is certain that because two of his ancestors were half Native American, that would make our youngest daughter full blood Native American......not the way it works. ;) But, as they explain in their info not everyone in the same family inherits the same exact string of DNA.

You don't have to be a member of Ancestry.com to have the test done but there won't be any other family trees to connect you to.
    If you do have a family tree started with them, they do send you information about other Ancestry.com members who have had their DNA tested and are related to you....most of mine so far have been 5th and 6th cousins on my Glenn side.

There is nothing in my family stories that mentions anyone being from South Africa or a Pacific Islander. I can't wait to find them in my tree and learn more about them.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    Tooty2shoes likes this.
  7. mart

mart Strong Ash

LOL !! He looks at it as "two halves make a whole" ? Tell him (nicely) that only works with apples and oranges.

8. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Toni- I also did the DNA test through Ancestry and loved my results. I found out that I am;
    57% West European
    17% East European
    12% Irish
    8% Great Britian
    6% Scandinavian
    3 % European Jewish
    1% Italy-Greece
    All totaled-- it makes me 100% European. :cool: Our family had always said that one of our relatives was part American Indian. Not so after doing the DNA test.
    But I have found a 1st cousin that I did not know I had. But have not been able to contact them as of yet.
    I have 2 second cousins--one I am in touch with regularly. One I have contact with through emails.
    Then I have 40-4th cousins:eek::D Wow, my very small family of just me, my Mom, my Brother, and the first cousin I know. Went from 4, to over 40 people.
    I have yet to find out how we all are related. I need to rejoin Ancestry to find out that info. That is something I will probably do in the winter as one is in the house more.
    I am rather excited about finding out about the first cousin I now have. I believe we are related on my Dad's side of my family.
    My mom was a single parent when I was born, and my Dad was not a part of my life at all. I did not find out from my Mom his name until I was in my mid-30s. She just never wanted to talk about it.
    So if they are related to me on my dad's side. I may be able to find out something about my Dad. All I know is his name--Lawrence Weise.

9. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

My mom did a DNA test a few years ago through 23 and Me. It said her family was mostly European and a touch of African. Oddly though, we had been sure there was some native american in there, but guess not. Im interested in doing a test, wonder what mine will show :) Wonder if I could talk dad into getting one done.....

10. toni

There could be Native American blood in your family but it was so weakened down by the time you were made that it doesn't show up in the test. And your Mom may have Native American blood but you did not inherit that string of DNA.
    To get better results maybe you could talk her into have the Ancestry DNA test done....the study of genetics has improved so much just a couple of years so a 'few years ago' there might be much more you can learn since the testing is much more accurate now.

11. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I've seen these tests offered, and I've never really felt compelled to do this myself... my ancestry has been traced back many, many generations to the same area of Germany and Prussia and so I know exactly where I came from. My husband, on the other hand, is adopted and we have no idea where he comes from so I think it would be interesting to find out.

12. toni

I have such a mix, it was difficult to tell how much of each I had in me. And to find out that some of my DNA comes from places so far away from the information showing up in my ancestry line is fascinating.
    Mostly the UK and Ireland.....so how and when did someone on/from an island in the South Seas and at least two from areas in Africa get in the mix?

Tooty2shoes likes this.