Another Hugelkultur

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Jewell, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Finally buried the last logs from the filbert trees taken down the summer of 2013 making my second and properly done hugelkultur. My first attempt at a hugel was an attempt to solve a big messy problem with the sloppily removed 3 filbert trees. That first one was planted last summer but the stumps and logs were not totally buried. There were spaces underground not properly filled. Some stumps were and are too large to cover and it was all...what the heck am I going to do? Despite the holes, rodent problem and experimenting, the first hugel produced a lot of produce in a small area. This growing season all holes and critters are gone. It has been cleared of last year's crops and is waiting for a layer of mulch before planting. Hopefully it will be as successful as last year's production. image.jpg

The second hugel is planted. Got the gardening bug and first planting of cole crops are in, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, chard. With the sunny, warm weather I made the impulse buy of a couple of tomato plants. They are under cloches now. Because my little Max was eating the cole crop starts I had to put a cover over the plants if I don't want them devoured. image.jpg

My garden seeds are bought and now need to decide when to brave the rain to fill the starter pots with soil. Better get the wheat seed sprouted first to keep the dogs from eating all my veggie starts. They are worse than slugs.

2. Loading...

3. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Looking GOOD, Jewell, really looking good! ! !
    Hank

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I agree. I can see them later in the year full of veggies. I really hope you get a great harvest from them.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Looking great Jewell! I predict a bumper crop :)

Advertisement
  6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I read about Hugelkultur years ago but had to refresh my memory. I like the way you turned your problem into a positive, and good looking productive solution. I also didn't know that dogs like wheat sprouts! I had one that loved raspberries and another that loved carrots, but, then, I've never planted wheat before either.

7. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Thanks Hank. I am rather proud of the slow but steady progress:D

Netty and Eileen, I hoping for a repeat of last year.

2forus, I have already lost one broccoli seedling to this little sweetie. Hopefully the wheat grass comes up quick. :smt082:smt082 image.jpg

8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Wow Jewell, I've never heard of Hugelkultur before. I just googled it, & I am impressed with it. I might just try it. I have cut down some lilac & a large branch off our plum tree. I think I will lug it out to my community garden plot & try hugelkultur there! Thanks for the tip.