Antidepressents

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by CJay, May 2, 2016.

1. CJay

CJay In Flower

Droopy likes this.
  2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I do believe that is true CJ. I think many more people would feel much better just to get outside and get dirty with garden dirt. It is therapeutic and satisfying to actually harvest something you grew and eat it. Must be why I seem to have never needed a dr or drugs... I just go to the garden...

EAT MORE DIRT!... maybe that should be our mantra, huh?

stratsmom and CJay like this.
  3. mart

mart Strong Ash

I should never have a problem if dirt will do that. I have more than my share of it. :)

stratsmom, CJay and carolyn like this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

So that's why I'm so darned cheerful! Everyone thinks I'm just goofy, but I'm just dirty and not depressed.:smt119

Advertisement
  5. CJay

CJay In Flower

I do find it interesting. Four decades ago 3 in 4 homes had a garden. And 50% of the population hunted fished and camped. Mental illness, while it existed, was no where near as prevalent.

The folks my age that I've brought this up with simply say that the depression and mental illness has been the same forever but people didn't talk about it. I tend to believe it was because of little things like is explained in the article.

Am I making sense?

S-H and stratsmom like this.
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I saw this on the news the other day and hubby and I have both seen the change in me between days spent in the garden and days stuck in the house.

Mental illness has been hidden and not talked about since the beginning of people. It was very prevalent, behind closed doors, but not talked about in 'polite society' for fear of being put away. "Happy Days" was a TV program not a way of life back then.

CJay and Droopy like this.
  7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I think you're making sense because I agree with you. Of course we might both be wrong here. The thing is, we're removing ourselves from the life we were made to live and replace it with a man-made, mechanic life. We're hardly outside. We sit still for hours on end at school or work. We socialize indoors. We buy most of what we eat. Some children grow up not knowing that milk comes from a cow and eggs from a hen, and they don't know how vegetables grow. Please understand I don't want to go back in time. I just feel that our daily lives have changed so fast our bodies can't keep up.

CJay and marlingardener like this.
  8. CJay

CJay In Flower

Toni. Please do not think that I'm saying it didn't exist back then. I understand that it has been around since the dawn of humans. And is even seen in other animals. I just think many of the problems we see now are due to things other than finally being able to talk about it as a society. And rapid diagnosis I think does play a serious factor.

9. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I don't know about mental illness being related to soil but I do know that all the man-made fertilizers and everything being sprayed or treated with who knows what, can be a major factor causing ADHD in children.

CJay likes this.
  10. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I've always said gardening is my therapy :) Now we have proof!!

marlingardener and CJay like this.
  11. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I love gardening and have always felt better even weeding to make my garden look better. Just the fresh air (when you can get outdoors when the neighbors aren't having chemicals sprayed on their lawns. We are on a corner so we are chased inside quite a bit when they arrive with the chemicals.) and the SUN makes a big difference... It seems like my dogs have a built in weather vane in them, when it is rainy they just lay around and sleep and when the sun is out, they want to go out doors more and run around.

CJay likes this.
  12. eclecticgarden

eclecticgarden Seedling

CJay, I find that gardening does bring me a certain level of peace and it definitely helps me when I am feeling low. I believe a lot of it has to do with simply being outside in the sunshine. A lot of us spend so much time indoors that we miss out on the benefits the sun can give our bodies, like good old Vitamin D.

http://www.gardenstew.com/blog/e19470-95-gardening-before-work.html

Frank and 2ofus like this.
  13. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I know I feel better if the sun is shining and there's good garden dirt under my finger nails.

14. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I couldn't agree more!

15. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I absolutely LOVE seeing the first blooms of spring poke through the earth after a dull dark winter. Really gives me a lift and good feelings. Not that I'd be depressed from winter per se but IMO the colour, the natural cycle of new life, the freshness of new flowers all works to lighten the mood.

Frank likes this.