Any one with Nutmeg Propagation?

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by liono, Aug 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. liono

liono Seedling

I bought theese Nutmeg seeds from a German seed shop two weeks ago. Does anyone have an experience propagating Nutmeg from seeds? Any idea what procedure should I use? Shall I soak in water or plant direct? when is the best time for planting?

Is it true that these seeds will lose viability after three days from picking them? If so, have I been cheated by the seed shop by selling non-viable seeds?

Thanks

Nutmeg Seeds.JPG

2. Loading...

3. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Are there instructions on the packet.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Info I found states that as long as the seeds are kept at 5 deg C from immediately after harvesting until planting, they should still be viable. But left out they loose moisture in the seed and the chances of them germinating is almost nil. You could try planting them to see what happens. The only planting information I found was to put them in a sunny location that also has a bit of shade in the hottest part of the day, plant about an inch deep in good rich soil and keep moist.
    The trees will begin bearing fruit when they about 5-8 years old.

5. liono

liono Seedling

thanks toni. I guess they have little chance to germinate as it is impossible to keep the condition of 5 deg C while sending them by mail. I will plant them anyway and will keep you posted if they make it or not.
    Odif, yes the pack contains some instruction, I just wanted to see if any one really succeeded germinating them and pick their minds.

Thank you guys for taking the time to reply.

Netmug Seed Propagation.JPG