Anybody growing Balsam (Impatiens balsamina)?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by cherylad, Jul 2, 2013.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

A co-worker gave me some seeds from her plants.
    Haven't made up my mind whether I want to try to grow them or not.

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I grow them. They are pretty and very easy to grow. Sometimes TOO easy ... they pop up all over the garden. At least they are easy to control. They do seem to like moist soil.

4. donna in nc

donna in nc In Flower

go for it I will grow anything I can get my hands on never met a flower I didn't like lol

oubee likes this.
  5. cherylad

Netty... I've read that they can take some sun, right? Problem is, I don't think I have enough shade for it to do well. Could it handle sun for about 4-5 hours in the later afternoon?

Donna.. from my reading and from what Netty said, they will self seed pretty freely. I already have to fight weeds, sure don't want to have to fight seedlings popping up all-over too.

Advertisement
  6. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Yes, I think that would be OK if you water sometimes. Sounds similar to the situation where I put seeds this spring, they popped up eagerly and have been going for a couple months.

Before it started raining so much, they would look a little wilty some afternoons but perk up the next morning, like about everything else in that bed. Seemed to be OK going about a week w/o water, not much longer if it's hot.

These plants seem so fragile, I anticipate I can just step on any I don't want next year. Don't think they would survive that. (Wish acorn sprouts were so delicate!) What do others think about that idea? I've also pulled a lot of the seed pods off, not sure if they'll keep blooming or not if left to make seeds. This is my first year with these.

Assuming the seed pods explode, throwing seeds as far as possible like other Impatiens? Explosive dehiscence is cool, kinda...

7. cherylad

Purple... I just had to laugh at "if I water sometimes"... I have to water at least every other day if there is no rain.
    Fragile huh? I'm sometimes like a bull in a china shop out there... hope they can survive ME! :D
    My co-worker's plants had lots of the seed pods (and yes, they explode) and there were still lots of blooms.
    Guess I'll go ahead and give them a try (like Donna suggested).

8. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Glad to provide a chuckle!! That should make you happy to hear they can go so long w/o water. It didn't rain in May here at all, I watered these probably 3 times. I know it's common for drought every summer in TX though. When it didn't rain here all summer 2 years ago, watering didn't really even do anything. The trees would suck it up instantly, what didn't just evaporate. Plants would be wilty again by the next day if they perked much at all. You probably have that most if not every summer. That's gotta be tough.

I'm always looking for creative (lazy) ways to thwart unwanted sprouts, whatever they are. Hope my idea gets endorsements! Really not sure since I haven't tried it.

Hmm, I think it's a good idea I'm removing these early seed pods. Sounds like I was right thinking some of them looked nearly ripe. Not interested in sprouts until next year, although they would make excellent compost fodder and/or "juicy mulch" at any time.

9. cherylad

Last year we were in severe drought conditions... and most of my stuff made it with regular watering. This year, we're only a few inches below "normal" because of our wet spring. BUT... that doesn't mean the ground is still moist (except way down deep). And it's not only the lack of rain... it's the heat too. We can get days with temps over 100F... sometimes even weeks.
    And then throw in the fact that my garden area only gets a small break from the sun thanks to the pecan tree right in the middle.
    So... watering is just a fact of life for me.
    If they survive... I think I'll be trying to keep the seed pods picked early too.

10. oubee

oubee In Flower

I love them! I once was so addicted to collecting these I ended up with 10 different colours in my garden! They are so easily grown they will multiply soon though, like at present white balsams are starting to claim a certain portion of my garden :D Plus, don't go on their fragile appearance; they are quite sturdy. I water mine once a week and they don't seem to be minding it!

11. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I have some volunteers out in a garden that get sun almost all day and they do fine.

12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I grew them as a kid & loved them....haven't seen them since though.