Anybody knows what is wrong with my purple shamrock? Help!

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by av, Sep 21, 2012.

1. av

av New Seed

Hello everyone. I have a few indoor plants. One of them is a purple shamrock that is very beautiful but it recently got sick very suddenly. The leaves seem to be locally thinning and the thin areas look white. I have attached some photos. The first image shows the healthy leaves before it got sick. The second and third image show the sick leaves. I can not see any kind of insects around the plant.
    If anyone knows what is wrong and what can I do, please reply to this post. Thank you very much

[​IMG]
    healthy purple shamrock leaves ( photo / image / picture from av's Garden )

[​IMG]
    sick purple shamrock 1 ( photo / image / picture from av's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Sick purple shamrock 2 ( photo / image / picture from av's Garden )

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

From what I have read it is most likely going into a period of dormancy. Do some web searching to see if that might be the case with your plant....if so move it to a shaded spot, cut off the leaves as they change and water infrequently. If it is going dormant it should start growing again in a couple of months.

D-G, Frank and Theodoros like this.
  3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I keep some outdoors (in a container). One day it will look great and then all of a sudden it looks like it wants to die. This is usually if it gets a little too dry or is getting too much sun. I just relocate it to a shadier spot and give it a good drink. It usually bounces back in a few days.
    I'm not sure if they go dormant or not, especially if being kept in the house.
    I protect mine from freezing temps by just covering it (and the other timid plants) when our temps near freezing.

D-G likes this.
  4. av

av New Seed

Thank you both for your replies. I try the Shade and water & meanwhile search the internet about dormancy (I just learned the name of the plant). I Will let you know the results.

Advertisement
  5. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I had one in my office and it would act up too :rolleyes: I think the white, crispy areas are where it got scorched by the sun. It is a beautiful plant and everyone is so impressed when they first see it :-o
    I might have to find another one :-D

Cayuga Morning and D-G like this.
  6. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Where are you?

Barb in Pa.

7. av

av New Seed

We are in Toronto, Canada.

8. waretrop

I am going to guess that it's going into dormancy. Just leave it on the same place water it very little till you see little shoots. I cut away the leaves and stems as they become completely dry. It will be larger and stronger in the Spring when it wakes up.

Barb in Pa,

9. av

av New Seed

Thank you very much for your help. I forgot to mention: This plant is indoors and it is not cold. About 65 to 72 degrees. Is dormancy because of cold environment or just a cycle? How long is it usually? I had this plant for over 5 years & I don't recall seeing it like this. It is in the shade now away from window like every one said. I Keep checking it for a change or new shoots.

10. waretrop

You never saw this plant in a rest period in 5 years? I never saw one not do it. Maybe there is something wrong with it. Mine does it every year without fail.

Barb in Pa.

11. waretrop

Well, I feel someone should give you an answer so if it were me and I thought there were something wrong with my plant I would take it out of the pot to clean off the pot and check the roots. See if you can see little bugs or something going on underground.

If not then I would wash the pot and give him all new good potting soil and a good drink of water.

Then I would say a little prayer for him and just watch.....things will work out... :)

Barb in Pa.

D-G likes this.
  12. cherylad

It may just be getting rid of the old leaves and preparing for new ones? Or it could be a bug. I'm no expert... just relaying info on how mine act.
    And mine HATE being transplanted.... talk about dying off and quickly! But they do bounce back within a couple of weeks looking all fresh and new.
    Wishing you luck with them!

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  13. av

av New Seed

you guys are great. I feel very Supported. And you make very good points. I wilI try them one by one & see what happens. Cherylad, when you move yours to another pot, does it look Iike dead & then still come back to life? if so, I feel safer to dig it out.

14. cherylad

Yes AV... almost all of them look dead or near death. But with a little babying, there's all sorts of new growth in just a few days.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  15. D-G

D-G New Seed

IMG_4702.JPG Hi all - I have a different issue with my Purple Shamrock plant leaves. Looks like somethig has been eating the leaves but there are no pests around. They seem to be growing like this. Has anyone seen anything similar? Thanks for any help.