Anyone ever used Garden Mats?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Red Audrey, May 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Red Audrey

Red Audrey New Seed

I have been looking for something easy to cover my tilled soil. Weed seeds and roots are inevitable and have been tilled in. I cant lift heavy bags and it is time to get planting. I thought Garden Mats might be a good solution. I would need four or 5. At 10.99 per each 6x4 ft mat, it could be worth it. Weed barrier has gotten so many mixed reviews, I thought I would look for something specifically made for veggies.

Philip Nulty and Growingpains like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

May I suggest cardboard? Collect huge cardboard boxes, take apart at seams and flatten onto garden. Just a thought.

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

With the size of my garden I would go broke buying those. Might be OK for small gardens . Cardboard would work just as well and its free.

5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

I had the same problem,..i used to get the areas tilled ready for sowing potatoes,..10 drills x 60 yards for an early crop and a main crop,..by the time i was ready to sow the main crop the weeds were popping up again,..so i purchased rolls of black plastic to cover the main crop area until i was ready,..it was cheap enough and lasted me for several years,..i found it great when a crop was finished,..to cover that nice weedless soil with plastic until i had another crop ready. Cyber 001.jpg

Cyber 003.jpg

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Phillip,, what is that wall ? Bottom pic. Very interesting.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

I find lots of cardboard boxes at the recycle container. I put my plastics and glass in / take cardboard out. Fair exchange and I recycle what I take.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Mart,..that red bricked wall was originally the walled orchard,..built in 1746,..270 years old,..the section of wall in the bottom picture has the shape where glasshouses were fitted into the wall,..the view below shows the orchard on the middle left,.. before i was using it as a fruit and veg garden.
    Ballinahown Court.jpg

Beyond the orchard was my hens and ducks area,..hen houses and duck house.
    alsbury ducks.jpg

Cyber 012.jpg

Growingpains and Red Audrey like this.
  9. Red Audrey

Red Audrey New Seed

I am not going to have enough time to get the cardboard wrangled before I have to plant. Believe me, I like free stuff. I do think the garden mats are a little pricey, but upon checking Amazon for a woven commercial grade UV resistant weed barrier, I have not come up with a front runner yet.

Update: I had to pull the trigger because I need to plant this weekend. I bought woven polypro ground cover. It resists UV so no need to mulch over it. I got 3 pieces, 12x24 each. My plot is roughly 20x30 so I can cut the third piece in half and have total coverage. (I didn't want to get the 4ft wide roll because I dont need to pay for 300 ft of length and Bigger pieces means fewer staples!) I will have to figure on a solution to prevent fraying; either duct tape or something to melt the cut edges.

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/...-ground-cover/ground-cover-fabric#description

I typically like all natural and free alternatives but it just isn't happening this year. The top 3 reasons are, in no particular order: 1) one year old, 2) wrist surgery imminent, 3) the rules of the community garden state that it must be 2/3 planted by the end of the month. I saw how many weeds were tilled in and I know I won't have the time to get 'em when they rear their ugly heads!

Last edited: May 18, 2016
    Growingpains and Philip Nulty like this.
  10. mart

mart Strong Ash

Pretty good reasons and in order of importance.

11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Most Liqour stores have boxes sitting around free for the taking..that is if you don't mind being seen in a store that sells demon rum.;)

12. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Toni, liquor stores have dumpsters. :)

Philip, I am in love with your place. Of course I have been in love with Ireland forever, so.

Red Audrey, based on your needs, you made an excellent choice.

Red Audrey and Philip Nulty like this.