Anyone have experience with keeping weasels?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by rococo, Jan 27, 2011.

1. rococo

rococo New Seed

Has anyone had any experience with keeping weasels?

I've been thinking of getting one recently, instead of a cat. Although I don't know if you can have them running free in the house, or do you have to have them caged?

I know they are very intellegent, clean. Although I don't know if you can have them running around the house.

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. stratsmom
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. calinromania
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Are you talking about Weasels or domesticated Ferrets which are in the Weasel family?

First you need to find out what the city restrictions might be, some totally outlaw them, some don't care.
    You would have to make sure your house is Ferret friendly, almost like baby-proofing since they get into everything and carry away all sorts of things to the nests they make. They do like a cage to sleep in but they really need time out of it to explore and play.

My daughter just got one and they are having a great time together. But she is restricted to my daughters room since there are too many unprepared places in the rest of the house. My oldest daughter's family has one that has the complete run of the house when they are home in the evenings and weekends.

Frank likes this.
  4. rococo

rococo New Seed

hmmm, thanks for the info Toni. I'll have to think long and hard about it. :eek:

5. louise

louise New Seed

I don't know about weasels but if you meant ferrets, despite the fact that they are lovely pets, they really do smell. And when you touch them, you smell too.

It's a massive shame because apart from that they are lovely - I'd have them myself if it wasn't for that fact :'(

Advertisement
  6. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

Ferrets... cute.
    Was really thinking about getting one. But... reading, and reading - decided not to.
    Not for the smell. Dogs smell, cats smell too. I guess.
    But they need care. And I am responsible, but not that much!
    Sometimes after work I go straight to my garden and come home after dark - which is not that great for a caged ferret.
    And what about the weekends when I am gone?

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

We kept a ferret for a friend for a short while...... They do SMELL. and they do make a mark on furniture if they get loose. I have chair that still has an odor to it when you sit in it or when it is really humid :(

8. louise

louise New Seed

It's NOT the same smell that dogs and cats make. Their actual skin emits something that really does smell.

Problem is that a lot of people believe washing their ferret will help get rid of the smell - it doesn't, it makes it worse.

However, if you know you're not responsible enough for a ferret then regardless, you shouldn't get one.

You could always get a goldfish?!