Anyone With A Pet Rabbit?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by lauriestroupe, Aug 22, 2008.

1. lauriestroupe

lauriestroupe New Seed

Hi,

I'm a former rabbit breeder (currently selling out my herd of champion Holland lops). At one time, we had 178 rabbits! Once all of my current rabbits go to their new homes, we'll be down to just three: Rio, LaForge, and Terry.

Rio & LaForge are grand champion Holland Lops. Rio has enough wins to be a grand champion 9 times over and placed first at a National Convention. LaForge is also a grand champion. He lives in my middle daughter's room. The third one is my youngest daughter's Jersey Wooly. He's himalayan in color (white fur with black nose, ears, feet, and tail.)

I have a pet rabbit website, so I get emails from literally all over the world about rabbits. I keep saying I'm going to get a world map and use pins to mark the locations of the emails. I love talking with folks about rabbits. Oh, and long-coat Chihuahuas, too.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'd love to see some photographs of your rabbits and chihauhaus Laurie. :-D

4. Peppersage

Peppersage In Flower

We use to have guenea pigs, they smell like rabbits

5. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

My dad use to raise rabbits for the meat but it was hard for me to eat them.His were white with pink eyes.Knowone else had a problem eating them

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

We had a pet rabbit when my oldest was young. They're the sweetest pets, so cuddly and patient. :D I still miss having one, but the cats and horses are enough.

I'm not partial to small dogs, sorry. I think they're sweet as long as they're somebody elses' dogs.

7. petunia

petunia Young Pine

Hello there! yes my daughter has 4 pet rabbits. she uses them in 4-H shows here in MIch. she is currently looking for a netherland or a poland. They seem about the same in looks to me, but she perfers the netherland. welcome to garden stew.

8. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

hi laurie, we had a couple pet rabbits many years ago. we were given a dwarf Himalayan (sp?) female we named Rabi, and then my sister brought over a male we named Bunbuns, and that's all it took was 5 minutes, and Rabi got pregnant! they were the cutist couple and as she got more preggie, he got more possessive and protective, so we had to give him back to my sister.

the whole birth experience was quite something. this was a first for us. as she got nearer delivery, we put her in a cage with shredded newspaper, etc... to make her nest and all. one night she was making weird noises so i got hubby to help me check on her. she had four babies and all were dead. hubby took them out of her nest to dispose of them, and i sat with her feeling sad, when all of a sudden the nest started to move and little grunts were being made! sure enough, one of her babies survived! next day we were worried that she wasn't feeding it, so we tried to teach her, but discovered she was feeding it plenty when we weren't around! they were cute and played together on the floor and all. then we took Guy, the baby, cause we thought he was a male, to the vet to get him spade. come to find out, Guy was a girl, so no worries. when we moved here, we brought them with us and they had an indoor space and an outdoor space to play in. they usually ran free in the house. they were great pets and so much fun!

great pics on your links! i'm still trying to figure out how to post pics here. Here's 'how to post photos'. :stew1:

9. planetpippa

planetpippa New Seed

Pics of Kanga Bunny from Planetpippa

Kanga is a mini-rex and weighs about 4 pounds. He pretty much has the run of the house and yard. We've really his cute antics.Bunnies make good clean pets, but if you are allergic to cats the same will be true with rabbits. He can be a bit skittish (being a prey animal) and would rather come to you then the other way around. At times he can be very affectionate and does like to be near us.

[​IMG]

[/img][​IMG]

[​IMG][/img]

10. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

Awww, sweet little things! I used to have a jersey wooly, but he was So hard to keep brushed! I think rabbits are the most perfect animal, gentle (for the most part) soft and cuddlable to the max.

11. planetpippa

planetpippa New Seed

Bunnies as Pets

I've heard some folks say that their bunnies are quite affectionate, but Kanga definitely does not like to be held. He will stay perfectly still on the ground for a nice scratch around the ears, but any little sudden noise in the house and he takes off! I know he enjoys our company, because he follows us around and will come for a treat. But our relationship is definatley on his terms! Pippa