Architect goes off deep end

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by marlingardener, Jul 31, 2016.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I hope this doesn't offend, and I realize there are different tastes for different folks, but this house is so darned ugly and looks as if it had been put together out of spare parts. It is a roofer's nightmare!
    [​IMG]
    This seems to be parts of houses attached to a honkin' big garage. Also notice the roomy space between it and the next home, which has a good view of the first house's side wall. Nice landscaping . . . .

Philip Nulty, Sjoerd and Raddang like this.
  2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oyvey... it is weird looking. almost as if the one side is a silo.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Those zero-lot-line homes have to go up since the lots are not large enough for a very big ground floor foot print. But that one is just downright weird looking

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

That house definitely would cost a mint to roof and really, IMO, doesn't have smooth lines - but it does have a grain silo!

One of the latest trends is to have honking big garage doors as the main front feature of a house these days. Personallyl I don't like it and do wish that somebody would design nicer looking garage doors.

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  5. toni

There are some very pretty garage doors available, but builders typically install the basic ones because they are cheaper. Hopefully the new owner will find nicer looking ones eventually.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Oh My ! That is eclectic taken to a new level.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well that house is certainly a talking point - but for all the wrong reasons. I just hope they never find themselves in a position where they have to put it on the market. Somehow I doubt if they'd get many folks wanting to buy it.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Gosh there isn't a thing nice about it,..looks like something a child would construct with bricks :dislike:

9. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Unfortunately that kind of design is the new trend. We have a lot of those kinds of homes going up in Nashville right now. Nashville typically has larger lots, especially in the older, more mature neighborhoods. 1/2 to 3/4 acres and beyond are not at all unusual. Builders are taking advantage of that fact, so they're buying up older homes, demolishing the original dwelling, and then putting up two, and sometimes three homes where one house originally stood. When they do that, they will build UP instead of OUT to give an appropriate number of square feet to the living space. It's ugly, cramped and ungainly looking, and yet folks are buying them up like crazy here....Nashville is expanding at a huge rate (one statistic is that it's the 5th most desirable city in the nation to live in) so housing is at a premium. Maybe so, but that doesn't make those kinds of dwellings look any less ugly. :(

Philip Nulty likes this.
  10. toni

Replacing older, more interesting looking houses with large uglies (called McMansions around here) is quite common. As soon as Mom and Dad (original owners of the house) pass on the kids usually have the house torn down because the empty lot will sell faster and for more money than the old family home will.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  11. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@toni - that is happening here too. Take down 1 house (as per just around the corner from me) and put up FIVE in the same space. Talk about postage stamp size lots and talk about being able to pass your neighbor a cup of coffee right out of your kitchen into their dining room. The houses are also going UP (as Ronni said) to get the square footage but they are so close together and they're getting snapped up here quickly for pretty hefty prices.

BTW - I like the word "McMansions" as that is what they are.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  12. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

That is not even close to a McMansion! would be very surprised if it has even 2,000 sq. ft. more likely a bunch of very tiny rooms, and lot's of stairs.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  13. toni

I wasn't labeling the house in that photo as a McMansion. The houses I am talking about down here are in the 5000-15,000 square foot range and are usually built on lots that in the past had been divided into 2-3 homesites.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    Philip Nulty likes this.
  14. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

Quite near to me there is a house that was designed to just fit the space available. At the narrowest end it is about 7 foot wide 20140308 Roseacre close house.jpg outside and this increases to about 10 foot at the other end. With cavity walls nearly a foot thick this must be real bijou inside. :)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  15. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Raddang, I like this one. It's like a 2 story TV tiny house. LOL Wondering if there is a basement..

Philip Nulty likes this.