Are there certain herbs that shouldn't be planted together?

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by Snap, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Snap

Snap Seedling

Recently I was gifted one of those large wooden half keg planters. I've place a few herbs together in it. I realise that one or two may need a larger container one day, but right now they're quite small.

Curry plant - Helichrysum italicum
    Pandan Grass - Pandanus amaryllifolius
    Native Lemongrass - Cymbopogon ambiguus
    Lemon Thyme - Thymus citriodorus

I chose the plants because they are each a different colour and texture...it's just now dawned on that they might not be compatable, if there is such a thing. There's companion planting, but is there an opposite?

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Most companion planting charts list some combinations of herbs and veggies that should not be grown together but I haven't found very many herbs that can't be grown together except for these ....
    Tanacetum parthenium Feverfew - several sites mention that because of it's unpleasant scent it wards off bees, even from those plants it is near, so if you want bees in the garden plant Feverfew far away from everything else.

Basil near Rue.

Caraway and Fennel

Coriander and Fennel

Mint and Chamomile or Parsley

Rue and Basil or Sage

As long as the growing requirements for all the plants are the same they should be fine together.

TheBip and Snap like this.
  4. Snap

Snap Seedling

Thanks Toni, I'll make note of the incompatibles for future planting reference.