As requested, Curried Rhubarb Chutney

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by EJ, Jul 21, 2008.

1. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Still have more rhubarb than you know what to do with? Like Mango Chutney? Then you will probably like this. It comes from a recipe which is at least 30 years old, given to me by an elderly neighbour, who was given it many years ago by an elderly friend. This is half the original recipe as I prefer lots of variety rather than gallons of one type.

2Ib Rhubarb
    1/2 Ib sultanas (I didn't use these as I don't like them in chuts)
    1oz curry powder (I added just a touch more for some va va voom)
    1 cup malt vinegar (I didn't have enough malt so it was 50/50 malt and balsamic)
    2 large onions
    2Ib sugar
    1 tablespoon mustard powder
    1 tablespoon salt (I halved that as I am trying to keep our salt intake low)

Chop the rhubarb into small chunks and chop the onion. Place all of the ingredients into a large preserving pan and cook slowely until everything is tender and pulpy which will take between 40 and 80 minutes. Bottle in sterile bottles and label when cold.

Because I missed out the sultanas I added an extra onion and a couple of extra stalks of rhubarb. It needs to mature to loose that raw curry powder taste if you can keep it long enough that is!

2. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Thanks EJ, i will definately try this. I have tons of rhubarb, and i try like heck to give it away, but everyone else grows it too. So this will be something different for winter variety....Thanks!

Thank goodness i only have the one patch now, or i would be begging for other recipes,,lol.

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I reckon that I have at least 2 lbs of rhubarb ready for picking at the moment so I think I'll give your recipe a try. I love mango chutney and Ian loves curry so we should both be happy with your curried rhubarb chutney.

Just one question EJ. Do you think Lo salt is OK to put into the chutney as we don't use 'normal' salt?

4. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Eileen, I only use Lo salt and it is perfectly fine.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Thanks EJ. I'll try to get some made at the week-end. :-D