Aurora Borealis

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, Feb 2, 2017.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We watched a program about the Aurora Borealis last night and it was fascinating! We had seen the Northern Lights once when we lived in upstate NY, and that show was pretty paltry compared to what can be seen farther north. Also we never realized there is a Southern light show.
    Does anyone here get to see either of these phenomena?

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Biita in Lofoten way up in northern Norway used to tell us about the lights but she hasn't been here in a few years.

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well we have tried Jane but to no avail.:( Ian and I went to the Shetlands when the lights were at their best. Sadly the night they were going to be spectacular was so foggy that we saw nothing.:frustrated: Our eldest son, Duncan, went to Norway and Iceland last year and missed seeing them in either place.:smt090 I have a postcard with them on it but I know it's nothing like seeing them in real life.

4. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I've never seen them, but I -may- be going to Alaska next year, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get to see them!

Advertisement
  5. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I have seen them when I've been up north and it is one of the most fascinatingly beautiful sights you can ever see. "Sometimes" if absolutely everything aligns just right we can get only a glimpse of them here but the sometimes is very rare.

6. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    If you get away from the cities and up into either the Olympic or Cascade Mts I've seen them here. It's amazing how far south they come.

7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

The first time I saw them we lived in northern Washington. I woke my children up so they could see them. Then, years later, we went to visit our son in Alaska and was able to see them again, only much brighter. They are breathtaking.

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

It is very rare here, but we have caught a small glimpse of the northern lights over the lake on occasion.
    A friend of mine works WAY up in northern Ontario, and posts the most lovely photos of the northern lights, where it is common.

9. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

We got treated to the Aurora Borealis in the early 90s here in Nebraska. Beautiful! They were faint, as we are far away, but they were reddish and purple. I got my kids up out of bed to see them.