Australian Tree Fern

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by waretrop, Mar 8, 2014.

1. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

[​IMG]
    Australian Tree Fern

[​IMG]
    Australian Tree Fern

[​IMG]
    Australian Tree Fern

Just look at the babies here. I will let them grow a while and then split them away from mama.

This plant has turned out to be beautiful. I just thought I would show off some of my plants while we are having this drab, cold, snowy Winter in the USA

Donna S, carolyn and Cayuga Morning like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Say Ware, do you have a pic taken from the side?

These ferns really are something special. I have seen them growing wild in Nieuw Zeeland. They are in some larger gardens here in europe...but I do not know of anyone with one.

You have now made me jealous for the second time today. :?

4. waretrop

I will go out and take a full view picture as soon as it gets light outside. The one I have gets very tall but I doubt that it will do that here. If it does I am sure I can just cut it down without a problem. i have also had this plant for many years.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

That is a cool plant Barb. How tall does it get or how tall had it gotten for you?

Advertisement
  6. waretrop

It's only about 2 or 3 feet tall now but they get 20 or 30 feet tall. Mine will only get 15. Not because it;s dwarf but because my greenhouse is 15 feet at the peek.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

You wouldn't have any room left in there if it got to 15'... Thay would be incredible to see. Where did you get it?

8. waretrop

I ask my hubby if he remembered where we picked it up and he can't. We have no idea. I always stop at all plant places to see what unusual things I can find. so I find one here and one there over the years. I have very little regular plants most of them are odd looking or ugly or just rare in this country.

I will always make room for my plants. It's like my Bunya bunya tree. It is smacked up to the roof of the greenhouse. This Summer I will dig a hole in the dirt and gravel floor of the greenhouse and from it down about 2 feet. I will leave it in it's own pot though.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ware--you do have some very interesting plants. I can see why you have such a large greenhouse.
    Why, I'll bet that I could fit three of mine in it. --chuckle.

10. waretrop

It's 14 X 26 feet.

11. waretrop

[​IMG]
    Australian Tree Fern

Here you go.

Donna S and Cayuga Morning like this.
  12. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

I am a bit nervous about this post, this one time when I am glad I don't live next door to you Barb,because you are not going to like me very much after this.
    Your fern is not a tree fern...completely different leaf/frond.It is a native fern, more like sword fern but definitely not a tree fern.A tree fern should have a black furry trunk,no mater how old and they only reproduce from spores,dont have babies.If you buy a tree fern here it has to come from a nursery which is licensed to sell them and each one has a registration number.
    So now there is a little bit of investigating to do.
    The tree fern frond has many small leavlettes on it, and it unfurls from the centre like most ferns.There is hardly any root system just a sort of mat of roots which sits almost on top of the ground.No digging up to get one just lever with a fork does the job.....I am going now. :setf_030:

13. waretrop

Now, why in the world would I 'not like' you anymore just because you correctly identified one of my plants? I love it when you post anything. I am glad you are with us. It's nice to know you are watching over us and reading our posts.

I have to go out and read our label if it has one. As I posted this and I asked my hubby how old this plant was and he told me, I was wondering why mine wasn't any taller if it's so old.

I am glad to get a proper Id when I gets corrected. So what do you think my little fern is, chocolate.

I have to check into what the rules for selling an Australian Tree Fern. Why are those rules in place there chocolate?

Rather than disliking you, I would rather 'thank you' for making me aware of the mistake.

cherylad and Cayuga Morning like this.
  14. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Barb--Whatever it is & however old it is, it sure is a beauty!

15. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

There are tree ferns here in Malaysia too and only found in the highlands. I have some photos of it taken before digital camera was heard of and I can't find them...still messy from moving. Anyway after surfing the net I found a picture here - http://www.forestferns.co.uk/tree-ferns ... -latebrosa

16. waretrop

No Chocolate is right this is not a Tree Fern. Though they are very nice this is not one of them. I went out when I collected eggs and there was no label on it. They have all been lost over the years. I will go look in all my old files and see if I can find out what it is.

Thanks KK.