Avocado from seed

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by CrisGzr, Jun 28, 2012.

1. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

Ever since a friend in Santa Monica CA complained that she had too many avocados on her tree and begged friends to come get some, I've been in serious envy! I started one from seed but I was expecting what usually happens, it sprouts two leaves and then dies. But this time I guess I did it right, I am quite proud of my little guy!

[​IMG]
    the avocado baby ( photo / image / picture from CrisGzr's Garden )

and Mukki is apparently proud too!

[​IMG]
    mukki and avocado ( photo / image / picture from CrisGzr's Garden )

My question is, has anyone in zone 7 had luck with these? any advice? will I have a pretty plant or ever actually get an avocado! I am so curious to see what one tastes like ripened on the the tree!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. KK Ng
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. gsdruth
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

They are hardy in Zones 9-11...has yours gone through a winter in the garden? If not, you might want to transplant it to a large pot now before it gets any larger so you can take it inside before frost.

I was looking up info about them a while back and some sites I found said they would not produce fruit unless they were grafted to a bearing tree....some say it will produce fruit but will take 10-15 years to happen and even then the taste of the resulting fruit might not be worth the wait. Most of them did recommend that if you can get one to grow indoors or in the ground and live through the winter in your location then you will have a nice, interesting tree to brag about.

4. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

Toni, if you look carefully, it is in a big pot, DH was carrying it in and outside for me all spring.

Now, it just hangs out with the basil and oregano. I think it will make an interesting house plant/tree, glad it is doing well.

May have to try a few more this winter. I am going to be putting up plastic in the screen room, it might be able to winter there -it will get lots of sun after the leaves come off the trees... oh, I wonder: is it deciduous?

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh, now that you mention it I do see the pot. :oops:
    In it's hardiness zones it is an evergreen, with plenty of sun and heat indoors you should be able to keep it evergreen. Lots of people grow them specifically as houseplants or greenhouse plants further north if they have a good place inside for them.

6. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

Oh, a greenhouse is my dreamhouse!