B²S²

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, May 28, 2017.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I have been quite busy here lately. Too busy to put together any postings of my own, rather I just took foto’s for a later date and commented on others’ postings.

The weather today has been a scorcher and so during the earlier part of the day, I am hunkering inside to escape the heat. Now a few words about the lottie’s development.

The best place to start is back when the crops were on the windowsill at home.
    plantjes2.jpg

While the seedlings were forming at home the plots at the lottie had to be prepared for planting.
    dijk03.jpg

The broad beans were raised in root trainers and set out in their place.
    dijk07.jpg

Then later it was time for the runner beans and French climbers.
    dijk03a.jpg

The strawbs have gone through some changes. In this first pic we were in the process of cleaning the strawbs up—that means weeding them removing all the sick and dead leaves and sprinkling some cow manure pellets around them.
    dijk08.jpg

A few days later they were heavily watered-in and then immediately the straw was liberally applied. You can also see the spinach before the first harvest on the left.
    dijk08aa.jpg

Yesterday we saw the first red strawb and of course it had freshly been picked-on by a bird...so it was time to span a net over them. Here they are all netted-up:
    strawbs net.jpg

As for the spuds---well, I ploughed the roes with my hand plough and planted them deeply with a tulip bulb planter in the bottom of the furrow. Here you can see the hills of soil waiting to earthen-up the spuds when they begin growing. In the distance there are a couple of spud leaves showing above ground.
    dijk06.jpg

When they well and truly began to grow, we earthed them up properly with those long hills of soil that you saw in-between the furrows.
    dijk6a.jpg

The beetroot has been coming along well and they have been; since this foto, thinned out massively. You can , perhaps, see at the end of the row where the bride had made a start. We re-planted some and sadly had to throw others away, as there were no takers for the plantlets. I think that folks just do not believe that they will grow on to be a beetroot.
    bietroot.jpg

The wisteria and Limnanthes under the blueberry bushes are really showing-off and are covered by more than 100 bees. It is magical to watch.
    wist.jpg

Limnanthus.jpg

Finally to end up with, a nice dike and tree landscape out in the country here.
    dijk02b.jpg

This has been a very unusual spring here with house move and the weather, we are behind with some things but others seem to be coming along reluctantly...but progress is being made. I have my fingers crossed as my optimism is guarded.
    With the late start there was so much to do, and to do quickly...there was nothing else for it but to knuckle down and get stuck in...and that is exactly what we have done.

Addendum: I almost forgot to explain the title--"Beetroot, Beans, Strawbs and Spuds"

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  2. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Call me a sinner if you must, but I covet your soil. It looks magnificent.

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Looks great S. I agree with fbg too. Envy! I am working on mine but I doubt it ever looks like yours.

Sjoerd, Growingpains and Philip Nulty like this.
  4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Great pictures Sjoerd,..you both have completed a lot of work and i agree the soil looks fertile,..your spuds are coming along nicely,..do you spray against blight?,..shame you had no takers for the beetroot planters looks like you will have quite a crop when they all grow,..odd how many people discard the planters when thinning out,..same with carrots,..both do grow well though the carrot may have legs and weird shaped but still tastes sweet.
    Your broad beans are standing proud and the strawbs looking good,..oh that wisteria is a beauty,..nice dyke and tree landscape,..lush.

Sjoerd and Growingpains like this.

Advertisement
  5. LIcenter

LIcenter In Flower

I have to agree with all comments above. Nice going Sjoerd. :like:

6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Nice title Sjoerd! Veggie pix are nice too.:) Lots of work.

Jerry

7. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Goodness im hoping one day to have a garden as beaitiful as yours...wow!!!

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

Mmmm,, I had a different title in mind ! Your garden is amazing.

9. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

As usual, I am greatly impressed with your abilities. I believe it is a natural talent. Otherwise, I would have a garden just as impressive !:fingerscrossed:
    Did you mention a change in housing, Sjoerd ? Either I missed an important post, or you should be telling us about it.

Sjoerd and Philip Nulty like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hello There MR. GUY-- Well, you know what they say about sin: It's a coin with pleasure on one side and dues on the other. Thanks for those nice words anyhow, mate.

Y'know CAROLYN--it's easy to get the soil that way on my small-sized lottie...but you have acreage .dont'cha. It may take a while.

PHILIP--No mate, I don't spray against blight. I always grow earlies or mid-earlies to try and have them harvested before the blight strikes...because the blight will come, sooner or later. It does every season. I appreciate your nice words so much.

Cheers, LI--It is always good to hear a nice word.

Thank you JERRY.

HUMMER--I don't doubt for a moment that you will. I can't wait until you get that plot.

Thanks a mil MART--What kinda title did you have in mind? ;)

Thank you, GP--I don't know if it is a natural talent or not, but I have been exposed to farming from an early age. Half of my family were farmers and I was lucky enough to be able to spend time there when I was small.
    As for the house. I have indeed moved from my old flat to one in a different location. This new flat is located down in the harbour. It is quiet and serene here and there is a decent view. I think that I have posted a pic or two on here a couple of months back. There was no big posting though. I did not make a big deal out of it as I doubt that anyone on here would be at all interested.

hummerbum, LIcenter and Philip Nulty like this.
  11. mart

mart Strong Ash

Thanks a mil MART--What kinda title did you have in mind? ;)

LOL ! In the south BS has quite a different meaning. Although its what we call Texas English,,cant print it ! :)

Sjoerd, hummerbum and Philip Nulty like this.
  12. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

That's not true Sjoerd...we all are interested in your new flat...heck i showed the heck out of mine...lmbo!!!
    SHOW US ....SHOW US!!

Sjoerd likes this.
  13. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Actually Sjoerd, I'm fascinated with where people live. Each home is unique as is the person living there.

Sjoerd likes this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ahhhhhhhhhh...Right MART-- I get you.:D I see what you mean. hahaha.

Right then HUMMER--I shall have a look and see what sorts of foto's I have of the place.

GP--I will see if I have some pics to show then. I also like seeing how folks live. I think that it may be somewhat different than here...but you are right--there is a difference, or uniqueness exactly because of the difference of the inhabitants.

Growingpains likes this.