Back of the barn gardens

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by marlingardener, Feb 28, 2017.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

When we discovered that the soil in back of the barn was very sandy, we were thrilled. We had that damaged part of the barn removed and ended up with rich, sandy soil. Why sand, you ask--when previous owners kept pigs, they brought in sand for the pig enclosure because walking in sand strengthens the pigs' legs which leads to better hams. Now it is strengthening our root crops--garlic, onions, turnips, potatoes, and carrots.
    back of barn gardens.jpg
    The potatoes you see chitted on the garden table were planted this morning. The baffle at the left of the table is to keep our mild Texas breezes from breezing the potatoes right off the table!
    After planting we still have two empty rows. I do have all those extra tomato starts . . . .

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Looking good Jane and I'm so glad you found such rich soil for your veggies. I think I'll get Ian to make some sort of baffle for my garden table too as I'm always chasing stuff around the garden that's been blown off it.

marlingardener likes this.
  4. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Wow that is a great discovery, instant fertile planting ground! Looks like lots of planting coming up!

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Looking good! What have you got growing in the raised beds?

Advertisement
  6. SylvieB

SylvieB New Seed

Looks great! And so much room there to garden, very nice :D

hummerbum likes this.
  7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty, the raised beds have three types of onions, garlic, and the first planting of carrots.
    SylvieB, these are just the gardening areas in back of the barn. We have an asparagus bed, two large gardens, and a fenced seasonal garden (where the bunny-magnet veggies are planted) to the south of the barn. We are lucky to have plenty of space.

Attached Files:

8. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

That is some good looking soil! :like: And the best part of it is you didn't have to spend years adding amendments to get it!

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  9. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Looks good - BUT - what does "CHITTED" mean please?

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I had to ask initially, when Eileen referred to "chitting" potatoes. It means cutting a whole potato into pieces with at least two eyes on each piece. A simple word that conveys a few hours of work with a sharp knife!

11. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

All your gardens and soil looks beautiful. I always love to see pictures of your property.....

marlingardener likes this.
  12. SylvieB

SylvieB New Seed

Wow, SO many gardens and veggies, Marlingardener! I love it :D.

Asparagus is my most favorite ever so I will have to grow it one day. Is it fairly easy to produce? Also, on your potatoes, after you are finished with 'chitting' them, do you let them sit for awhile so roots grow out of the eyes that are left? Before you put them in the ground?

13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Glad you like our gardens, SylvieB. Asparagus, in my opinion, is about the hardest vegetable to grow and contend with. Here we plant it in January or February in a very well-prepared bed deeply dug and with lots of compost. Seed with give asparagus in four years, one year crowns in three, and two year crowns in two. It's a heavy feeder, and keeping it weeded is really difficult. Now that I've rained all over your parade, there are few pleasures comparable to nipping out to the asparagus bed, cutting enough for dinner, and popping it in the pot--30 minutes from garden to table!
    The potato pieces are left to dry (that's what they are doing on the garden table) for one or two days before planting. The pieces don't have to have anything growing out of the eyes--that happens anyway. Thanks to Sjoerd (a great gardener and member here) I now have an easy way of planting potatoes. Dig a trench about 6"-8" deep plant the chits, cover with about 2" of soil, and when the little green stems and leaves start to show, fill in the trench. That way the growing potatoes are safely underground and you don't have to hill, which is a pain when you have to add soil under the foliage.

14. SylvieB

SylvieB New Seed

Ahh, that's disappointing about asparagus! That satisfaction of cutting my own for dinner though makes me think I may attempt it, one day ;).

Thanks for the info on potatoes! Do you know does this method work for sweet potatoes as well?

15. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

I love the look of your garden..so Green so far and so much space!!! I can't to find another home! We have about a year...but there is a God!!

16. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

SylvieB, we don't grow sweet potatoes--they take up a huge amount of space and are really cheap around here. They do require at least four months of warm weather and sandy soil. Sweet potatoes aren't chitted, one buys "slips" from a supplier.
    Hummerbum, when we moved to Texas We had three months in an apartment before we could move into our house. I got a gardening book and practically memorized it! I know the feeling of wanting to garden, garden, garden. Your time will come (and in the meantime, you are welcome to come to Texas and help me weed!).

2ofus and hummerbum like this.