Back of the barn gardens

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by marlingardener, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I am looking at some exciting foto's here, Jane.
    I hope that you will show more pics as things continue to develop.

2. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

if i could...i sure would;)

Sjoerd likes this.
  3. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Marlin, i'm astounded by the beauty of your new garden space. Potatoes going in the ground already? Although St. Patrick's Day is said to be the time of planting them, snow covered garden convinces me it is too early. Plus my source doesn't have seed potatoes available yet.
    I cut so I have 1 or 2 eyes per chunk of potato, turn them cut side up and allow to scab over a bit. This supposedly keeps bacteria from invading.

Regarding Asparagus, we usually eat a few stems the second year, depending on how well it has kept over Winter. We leave enough for a crop the third year. It seems to spread roots far and wide within 2 or 3 years.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Asparagus grows wild here, down the sides of the road and in the ditches. It grows through gravel, thick grass, tree roots, and shrubs. Those who know what to look for are found driving the back roads and picking the wild shoots. Having seen how well the Asparagus grows in the wild, I stopped the tedious task of weeding mine and it has been doing great! I cut my patch down really low in the spring and then run the lawnmower over it with the setting low to get rid of any tall weeds/grass.

marlingardener likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Netty, I had no idea Asparagus grew wild. f Southern Ontario has it, South Eastern Michigan should too, right?

6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I guess it would Growingpains!

7. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

I rather guess my Asparagus will supply my needs. If not, I shall search the wayside. Daddy used to pick a green which grew by mountain streams. It was called Creasey, if I remember correctly.

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Growingpains, I wonder if what your daddy picked was water cress? I looked it up, and it may very well be "creasey".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watercress
    We don't have it here in Texas ("water" being the operative word!) but I did gather some in upstate NY to add to salads. Lovely little plant!

9. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Marlin, I too wonder. It has been so many years, I find it impossible to recall. I do remember picking Water Cress by my sister's creek in Tennessee. It was very tasty and slightly peppery.