Balloon releases

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, Mar 10, 2017.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

With all sorts of celebratory events coming up (end of school year, birthdays, anniversaries, memorials, etc.) many folks think that a balloon release is a way to mark the day.
    Not a good idea--balloons get caught in trees and pose a threat to birds, especially those who are nesting. We had a mockingbird nest in a tree that was at least half balloon remnants. I just hope the nestlings didn't get tangled up in the mylar/rubber shreds.
    It also causes litter. I've picked balloon remnants out of shrubbery and scooped it out of our pond. The balloons tied to a gate post or mailbox to mark the site of the celebration should be retrieved and not left to deflate, deteriorate, and be blown about by the next high wind.
    If your local school, church, organization is planning a balloon release for any reason, please contact them, explain the hazards, and offer an alternative (small bags of bird seed, banners that can be retrieved and possibly re-used, paper flags that can be composted).
    Don't mean to preach, but if you care about wild birds, you may want to warn others about the dangers of balloon releases.
    (I'm often full of hot air, but don't release balloons!)

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I agree 100% with you Jane. Working for a vet made me aware of all the dangers that balloons could cause. They burst and fragments can be picked up by horses, cattle, goats,pigs and sheep and can block their throats or cause major damage to their insides. Even smaller animals can get tangled in the pieces and lose limbs or strangle. I wish someone could come up with a biodegradable balloon that would disintegrate quickly with minimum impact on wildlife and domestic stock and pets. I never buy balloons or Chinese lanterns as I don't want to be responsible for injuring or killing any creatures whether they're birds or animals. I've tried to spread the word about the dangers but not everyone listens or wants to listen to me. :frustrated: It won't stop me trying though.

Tooty2shoes and marlingardener like this.
  4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Thank you marlingardener.....when I see this on the release of "balloons" news, my poor husband probably rolls his eyes..I can't believe they let people do that.......I have been ranting for years.....

I used to breed exotic birds...I also have long hair..... many times I found my breeder finches with the tightest piece of hair wrapped around their leg acting as a tourniquet. It was too tight I really had to work to get it cut it was too deep.

Any of these things that get into our environment, the birds will pick up to make a nest. I have learned to cut things into small pieces for the birds. Dryer lint, my hair, string, lots of things can be used to offer nesting stuff for birds but it must be in small pieces.

Don't release balloons.....the birds don't know any better......

Release butterflies, that is good for our world....When my daughter died, a friend paid a few bucks to "someone" and it was set up on a certain day where others were invited in memory of a lost one. The close family members got a notification of it and also a beautiful hand made glass butterfly that is in memory of their lost loved one... I have it hanging in my bedroom with my real butterflies....I look at it every day in memory of my only child....

Better than hurting our wild birds with plastic balloons and strings.

Tooty2shoes and marlingardener like this.
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Ware... I never thought about the hair... good point. I will endeavor to make sure I cut mine into pieces before putting it out in the nesting material. I should have, but I didn't think about it...

Advertisement
  6. waretrop

I used to go to Atlantic city and sit on the boardwalk with my tools. I got some pizza and "ate some" and tossed pieces of it up into the air. Before I knew it I had 15 gulls sitting all over me. You can pick out the ones that have fishing line wrapped around the feet and grab them quickly. I spent many a afternoons clipping away all the lines and fish hooks stick in the birds. You would be surprised how many birds I freed in an afternoon. It was very easy to catch them and they were thankful when I let them go....

These birds would probably have died and no one would have realized how it happened. Not that we need any more sea gulls at the shore...LOL It's just cruel and an awful way to die....

Tooty2shoes, 2ofus and carolyn like this.
  7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

ya, this is how I broke my arm... a fisherman left his string on the asphalt path at the park by the pond... wrapped it around my wheels and I came to a screeching halt.

waretrop likes this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

When we first moved to our farm, the pond area was covered with fishermen's litter--bait boxes, fishing line, and of course plastic and glass bottles. We cleaned it all up, and said a firm "no" when strangers asked to fish the pond. I hate to think how many birds, and we have egrets and herons and ducks, were affected. They're safe now!

9. waretrop

carolyn, WOW they just don't realize things. I always think, SAFTY FIRST, not that I always do safe things but I made myself very aware of things that I do or even others around me....

marlingardener, So glad you cleaned up the place....That is really terrible. Even if they were teens, when I was a teenager I was aware of cleaning up after myself....must be how they were raised....

carolyn likes this.
  10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

That was almost 20 years ago and I haven't been rollerblading since then. now I can't afford to have a broken arm. or hip or leg... nothing. too expensive and my farm work would be a disaster.

11. waretrop

LOL carloyn......I know about those broken bones.....I am nine months into my 2 broken bones....my arm turned out fine but my ankle stops me in my tracks with pain.....they say it may last a year longer or even never stop giving me pain......

Don't break anything........carolyn......

carolyn likes this.
  12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I am trying to avoid it like the plague.. thanks for the advice. When I broke my leg... (I fell down the steps carrying my next oldest and was a nursing mom at the time... not a good idea, either) my ankle popped while flexing my foot for years afterwards. my arm hurt with a weather change for years, too. just a sharp deep stabbing pain in the bone... now I don't notice it. Keep drinking bone broth... that should help you.