Basil abundance

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by EJ, May 18, 2016.

1. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

image.jpg image.jpg For the first time ever, I have managed to sow and grow several big pots of soft, sweet basil. So, before it starts to flower and get tough, I have picked a nice big bunch, chopped it up with some local rape seed oil and plopped it in ice cube trays to freeze. Hopefully this will preserve the fresh, green flavour and then I can just plop the basil bombs into pasta, or whatever I am cooking and what a zam.

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Ronni
      Replies:
      Views:

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

EJ, it works! I"ve made "basil balls" for years--finely chopped basil with just enough water to make a thick paste, freeze in ice cube trays, and use in sauces and marinades. It's the taste of fresh basil, if not the appearance in a dish.
    If you nip off the flower buds just as they start to form, your basil will last longer and the taste won't change.

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It sounds like a known thing to do. I have never heard of doing this.
    congrats on your big harvest, EJ. Things must really be going great guns over there.

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

I do the same thing in olive oil and plain ice cube trays. Then remove from trays and place in freezer bag.

Advertisement
  6. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

I popped them out and put them into a freezer bag. I'm going to do the same with coriander and parsley next.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

EJ, you can make basil infused red wine vinegar very easily. It is great mixed with olive oil as a marinade for beef or pork, and also as a base for salad dressings. I take an empty wine bottle, stuff as much clean basil in it as I can, fill it about 3/4 full of white vinegar, and then top it off with red wine. After it sets in the cool, dark pantry for about six weeks, I can either decant it into smaller bottles, or just pour out what I need.