Bathroom Renovation Winter 2013/2014

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by Pianolady, May 5, 2013.

1. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

This project has been pushed back to Winter 2013-2014, but it WILL happen! :-D

So the tub had leaked water down onto the floor and loosened our very cheap vinyl squares. I lifted the affected area, cleaned it up, dried it out, then said, "this whole room is so awful I'm just going to carpet tape the tiles back down!". Actually that appears to have worked. Two days pass.

This morning, hubby asks "How would you feel if we gutted the bathroom entirely and start over? It could take months to do." :setc_005: Only thing that stays is the new window.

So here's our before pictures. We're going to do some thinking before we dig in, but have already decided there will not be a tub. We want a nice walk in shower instead. Don't care about resale value of not having a tub.

BEFORE:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Umm...the drywall work was atrocious. This will be done properly when we do it over. The ceiling is also going to go.
    [​IMG]

eileen likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh I do love before photographs. :D I would enjoy taking on a project like yours as I'm a bit of a DIY 'freak.' I'm looking forward to seeing the progress you make with the bathroom and like the idea of a walk-in shower instead of the bathtub.

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Going to Save and Watch this topic PL, good luck!

5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Love before and afters. Keep us updated for sure :-D

Advertisement
  6. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Oh I love this. I love "before and after's" also. Yours is sure dated, as they say. When I moved into my house the toilet tank was cracked in half.....I also gutted the place. You could see straight down to the basement.

I also agree about having what you want and not worrying about resale value. I got rid of a bedroom and make a walk in closet off my bedroom and a pantry off my kitchen. I also got rid of the bath tub. They can always be put back before a sale or by a new owner.

Good luck and keep us posted...

7. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I hope our bathroom remodel happens soon too :-o Like you, our shower leaked and has destroyed the flooring :-x I'm going at it a little different though, this one will only have a tub. I found the perfect claw foot slipper tub! Since the house was built in 1930 I thought it would fit perfectly!!! We have a big walk in shower in the new addition so that's why I feel a tub is needed. I don't care about resale either, I plan to live here forever and I want it my way!!! :-D Will you do the work yourselves?

8. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

Yes, we'll be doing all the work ourselves. It will take a while because we'll be moonlighting this project. Thankfully we have another already-updated bathroom we can use during this renovation.

9. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

same here :-o It was because this bath was in such a mess that we added the other :p Needless to say, this one has been sad for a long time :( Good luck!!

10. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

When we redid our bathroom--many years ago. Was shocked they had used under the tile. Had to buy 3 piece Shower-tub -because 1 section wouldn't fit in door. What I hate about our only bath room. Hot water-heater is in it.

11. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I know how you feel, the washer and dryer live in mine :rolleyes:

12. scindapsus

scindapsus New Seed

nice work!

13. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I know from experience you won't miss the tub. And your bathroom will look and feel a lot big. Looking forward to watching the progress.

14. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I am anxious to see your progress......Nothing is happening at our house, I hope you are having better luck than me :rolleyes:

15. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

While cleaning one of my customer house last Friday. I found another crack in fiber-glass tub-bottom. This is upstairs above kitchen. Seen water on floor. .So far no stain on ceiling. Having tub guy to see if they can seal again. 3rd time.

16. james123

james123 New Seed

You have done a great job..!! It has improved a lot.