Berries and Garden

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Jewell, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    We are in a drought in much of the west coast. For the first time ever (30 yrs of gardening at this location) I have had volunteer tomato plants that are larger than the two starts I bought.
    image.jpg
    They need to be trimmed and trellised this week-end. We have had days with temperatures from the high 70s to 90s with no more than light drizzle or two all spring. Hate to see the water bill when it comes in. Not our usual weather for a temperate rain forest.

The berries are doing great. The blue berry clusters are more like grape clusters. Some are so heavy they have broken the little branches they hang from. Will have lots in the freezer before summer is over, plus full tummies.
    image.jpg
    Have been having mixed berry dishes of strawberries, raspberries and blueberries daily.

The collards and half my cauliflower plants have been eaten by one little black and white canine. Thought I had it Max-proofed but he dug under the bird fencing.:mad: Does keep us in stitches when he waddles by with a big leaf proudly being hauled away. :smt044 :smt043:snicker: Did give me space to try a couple of cantaloupe plants, something I would never try if this El Niño hadn't so drastically changed our weather.

The Huglekulturs are growing well. Beans, peas, broccoli, corn, cucumbers, volunteer tomato, a few flowers and wheat grass (for the dogs)Will be putting some second plantings in soon. image.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2015
    toni, donm, eileen and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Oh my goodness Jewell, what a beautiful garden!!! Love those chairs, I just want to sit and take in the beauty of it all.
    Those blueberries are amazing!

4. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

oh my! everything looks great. I hope you get some rain so you don't have to water too much.

5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Those blueberries look amazing Jewell! Mouth-watering! Your garden is beautiful too very inviting. I would love to see a closer shot of your Hugelkultures. I have been considering doing that in a part of my garden. How are they doing?

Advertisement
  6. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Netty, thanks. Those are the most comfortable chairs ever. My favorite place to sit.

Sherry, thanks for the compliment. Looks like we will be short on moisture this year. Will do our best and shudder and shake when the water bill comes.:crying:

For raised beds they are holding the moister well and warmed the soil early. The first hugle was a cover up for stumps, and I didn't let the soil settle in well around the logs so had a rodent problem last summer that was covered up by all the veggies. Learned my lesson. During the winter and spring I did some dancing on the first hugle and additional digging:confused:. I am one to never step on a garden bed so felt quite naughty.:oops: The first hugle also had to be supported with bricks since my garden space is small and the lot slopes. Only way to contain the soil and cover the stumps.

The second hugle is only raised on one side. And ground level on the uphill side. I was careful to bury the remaining logs too big for the wood stove. Every thing planted there has done really well. Had a mass of volunteer tomato plants sprout in the warm soil. Kept a few, transplanted a few and weeded a lot. Have never had volunteer tomato plants sprout in the garden before and actually set fruit like these have. Considering even with our warm day temperatures nights have still been in the 40s F until recently when they have gotten into the 50s.

We normally can't grow cantaloupe (too cool here) but I am giving it a try in the 2nd hugle. Who knows what might happen this year:fingerscrossed:. The new blueberry plants also had logs planted/buried under or around them. I am noticing the soil is holding moisture much better than the bed on the other side of the walkway. I also put down a fairly thick layer of cardboard and bark mulch last summer to kill off the wild bleeding hearts and sweet woodruff so it was well prepped prior to spring plantings. Burying logs/sticks and mulching seems to be a great way to improve the soil long term for my easy to dig garden. Don't know how it would work for other soil types or climates.

7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Thanks Jewell for your explanation. I am thinking of burying logs, etc to a section of my perennial garden. It is an area that needs to be rehabbed anyway: the plants have self-sowed & intermingled so much that I call it my "meadow" rather than perennial garden. The soil is poor: it surrounds our pool & the subsoil must have been spread there from when they dug the pool. I have been adding compost whenever I plant something, but the soil is still poor. I thought burying some logs, branches might help when I rehab it.

I'll let you know. I hope to do it next spring.