Bioturbation---Worms At Work

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Bioturbation...a new word. It means--the reworking of soils and sediments by animals or plants.

Back a number of years ago I posted a thread on here in support of the benefit of worms in garden soil.
    The link if you are interested: http://www.gardenstew.com/threads/smoking-the-truth-out.26525/#post-240980

I have another interesting link to watch, although there is nothing new here. It is never the less to see what all worms do and how they do it in terms of tunnelling and eating.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  2. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

A fascinating study. There are so many activities taking place underground that go unobserved. Then someone sets up an observational venue and opens up an unseen world.

Thankyou

Jerry

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Fascinating video Sjoerd, thanks for sharing. I almost thought they were trying to spell out something for a second, and I hoped it wouldn't be "Help!" :)

marlingardener likes this.
  4. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Mike and I found the all videos very interesting. Thank you for posting the video and the links to the other also. I did the gardening all the years Mike worked but, when he retired, he took over. It was quite a learning experience for him (4 years of sad, sad gardens) before he started figuring it out. He isn't quite as organic as I am but he is getting there. Your videos helped him understand where I couldn't. Thanks again.

Sjoerd likes this.
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hello 2OF--You are welcome. Thanks for responding to this thread. Its always good to hear from you.
    It sounds like your man is progressing well and it sounds like he had the WILL to progress...that is the most important.

He may not be fully "organic" but perhaps he will still enjoying reading this thread that I penned a while ago now. It is about soil:
    http://www.volkstuindersvereniginghoorn ... age18.html

Hahaha...Thanks FRANK--That would have been something wouldn't it.

JERRY-- Yes, there are indeed several studies showing on what goes on underground. Can you remember that one I posted a while ago showing how a type of fungus can "lasso" a bad type of worm that eats tubers and roots?

The thing that prompted me to post this last vid was that there came on the news here an interview about a new university study underground that will be filmed. It will show all manner of underground activity on a micro level. I cannot show a link because it is all in Dutch. However when the documentary is completed it will no doubt be available on YouTube.
    It came on the news because the group doing it are asking for crowd funding.