Bird ID Help!

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Tooty2shoes, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

While I was sitting in our kitchen yesterday we had an unusual bird visit our feeder. It is bigger that a House finch. At first when I saw it I thought it was a Song sparrow or a fox sparrow. I am shocked to see it in the winter as both of those sparrows migrate. What do you think?
    DSCN3922.JPG
    DSCN3923.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2016
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. mart
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Daniel W
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

4. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Toni after I looked at some pic's of the Song sparrow and then the Fox sparrow. I believe it was a Fox sparrow as it does not have an eye strip like the Song sparrow has. It was quite larger than the song sparrow. I am going to check with the Cornell bird site and see it any of them have been reported in Wis. at this time of year.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I couldn't see a lot of detail around the eye. The map on that Cornell site shows their year round area as being partial in southern Wis. so there is probably a chance that some have wandered your way. When you verify which bird it is be sure to report it to them. I do it with butterflies that are a tad out of their normal area but end up in my yard once in a while.

Advertisement
  6. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Toni I did report it on the Ebird website under feeder watch. I was so surprised to see it at our feeders. Since the one sighting I have not seen it again. I did see on the Wisconsin map where other people have reported seeing them this winter. When I did a closer inspection of the colors of the Fox sparrow I could see the grey head coloring I saw on this bird. I will have to check out the Cornell website.

7. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

I think song sparrow. Not heavy spots on the chest and it has stripes on the head.