Birds eating tomatoes.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by MOFishin, Jun 19, 2016.

1. MOFishin

MOFishin New Seed

Some of the uppermost branches of my tomato plants have been seemingly just chopped off. It's high up enough that it could only be birds or deer. And I would think the deer would eat more. I have shiny (And sometimes noisy) things flapping in the breeze, but it hasn't seemed to be enough or a deterrent so far.
    Any advice/insight? Other than this problem, my tomatoes are by far the healthiest looking plants in the garden, so I'd like to find a solution ASAP.
    Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

look closely at the growth... is it clipped at an angle? if yes, it is deer.

4. MOFishin

MOFishin New Seed

It's kind of rigid/lopsided. I guess you would say it's at an angle. I could definitely see it being a deer. It's been months since I've seen deer that close to the house. But it wouldn't be a shock, and I have seen them about 60-70 yards farther down into the woods. Know of any good deer deterrents?

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

dogs, guns and maybe human pee.

MOFishin likes this.
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I've been battling the deer for years at work, their favourite things being beans and tomato plants. I tried EVERYTHING, and this year we finally found something that worked. A tall fence! Good luck, I know how frustrating it can be!

MOFishin likes this.